PDA

View Full Version : can the "front" page be the forums instead of the articles?

Quirkz
10-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Every time I come here, I get the articles first. They're not particularly active, and I think most of us come for the forums. Seems like they ought to be the default home page. Can that be changed? Or is it a setting I just haven't noticed yet?

CousinItt
10-05-2016, 09:11 PM
You can simply go to the Forums page, then save it to your bookmarks. Delete your old bookmark. Voila!

Quirkz
10-06-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm not using bookmarks, and I end up accessing the site from a bunch of different computers/devices. I'm using www.debtfreefantics.com, which defaults to the articles directory instead of the forums, but I'm not sure why.

spoiled_lil_boy
10-06-2016, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure why.

Because Greebo wants it that way! :)

No, really.

Dorothy
10-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Actually it makes sense for it to be the articles - I think. Can visitors see the articles? If so, then we want visitors to be able to see some content. Those of us who are already here can bookmark the forums or do the extra click to get to the forums when we come here.

spoiled_lil_boy
10-06-2016, 05:06 PM
I believe that is indeed the reason.

Visitors can only see one active forum, which isn't much of a welcome. Presenting the curious visitor with several articles sends a good message that we're serious about what we do here.

SueandTom
10-06-2016, 05:15 PM
And we are serious! :)

CousinItt
10-06-2016, 09:55 PM
I'm not using bookmarks, and I end up accessing the site from a bunch of different computers/devices. I'm using www.debtfreefantics.com, which defaults to the articles directory instead of the forums, but I'm not sure why.

Okay, gotcha.

EvilGreebo
10-07-2016, 06:51 AM
Flatly, no, and there will be no change on that front.

This is what the home page looks like to newcomers.

And this is what it looks like if the forum would be the home page

The articles may not be super active but they are there to draw people to the site, give them basic info, and then encourage them to sign up for the forums, so they need to stay out front.

But hey man, I hear you. I deal with the same annoyance of having to click that one extra click every time I come here, cause I haven't been bothered to set up book marks to the forum section either. It's super painful, I know, but it's the price we pay to be welcoming. ;)

midnight0300
10-07-2016, 06:56 AM
I first thought the same thing but I honestly agree that the articles are best. I have sent people here for the articles and they kept coming back because they were so good. For me, I probably wouldn't even look at the article if it weren't right there each time I open up the site. Since I use forums all the time, I seem to forget about the other good stuff. I just had to give it time to grow on me and keep an open mind. I also had to remember that it was for the greater good for all.

EvilGreebo
10-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Because Greebo wants it that way! :)

No, really.

rolo4evr
10-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Agree with the previous poster who said that we are serious here. :drool::cheerleader::congratulations::yess::banana ::brainfart::band::bananadance::fabulous::turkeyda nce::rofl:

Katiebug
10-07-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm glad you asked this question. I've often thought the same thing. But now that it has been explained, my extra click will be worth it.

bs74me
10-07-2016, 01:17 PM
It's funny because I always had the same thought - "how annoying this is." Then, I read CousinITT's post upthread and went - duh of course why didn't I think of that!

Of course, now that I hear the explanation of the reasoning, it all makes perfect sense and is absolutely the way it should be.

So, I was going to change my bookmark, and then I thought to myself - if I change the bookmark to just the forums I'll never think to go look at the articles to see if anything new has been added. So in the end I'm leaving it the way it is now and an extra click is worth it :D

Thomas.
10-16-2016, 04:38 AM
And we are serious! :)

And stop calling me Shirley.