PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Here

Shack4Tom
10-14-2016, 05:50 AM
What a great way to start a Friday; join a small group of people just like me (putting my paycheck into a positive motion).
Well I'm just a little bit in debt but as a 53 year old and not made a home purchase yet, I'm looking for advice.
So lets see your little red welcome wagon. I enjoy coffee during a sunrise and have 1 grandchild on the way. Happily married 31 years. Thanks.

Jep
10-14-2016, 06:10 AM
Hi Shack4Tom! Since this is the visitor's corner, I'm not sure many people will see you. Come join us in the main forums (Debt Management or General discussion forums) and I'm sure you'll find a better welcoming! :)

Wyldcat
10-14-2016, 06:28 AM
Welcome. As Jep said, there is a lot more discussion in the main forums. Drop a post there if you have any questions or have a topic you would like to discuss.

wintersong
10-14-2016, 07:32 AM
Welcome!
See you on the more populated side.
Post early, part often.
Let us know how we can help you.

KVinKC
10-14-2016, 07:37 AM
Welcome Tom. We have a few things in common. Been married 31 years and in our mid 50s. I look forward to seeing your posts. Once you get through moderation on the regular boards, we will want to know more about the debt and a little about your shovel (income), expenses and retirement dreams. We have some of the best debt ninjas around here to help you find extra money for your dreams.

midnight0300
10-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Welcome!

rolo4evr
10-14-2016, 07:50 AM
:wave: Howdy and WELCOME!

SueandTom
10-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Welcome! I'm Sue, am your age, and have been married to a different Tom for 32 years.

I can also tell you you've come among a friendly and helpful group of people who understand the challenges of getting out of debt and are ready to cheer you on. Tom and I have been through all the Baby Steps and can attest that it's so worth it!

Jump right in: read, post, and ask questions. So glad you're here!

doublejy
10-14-2016, 09:02 AM
Welcome Tom! Do join us in the other threads and jump right in. It's always good to post this intro over there in the Debt Management group so everyone sees it.

texasred
10-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the group!

SarahRuth
10-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Hey there, welcome! I'm new too. :)

Shack4Tom
10-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Sarah, I noticed you have your debts in your signature line. I think I'll do the same if you don't mind, thanks.
Thanks to everyone for the welcome aboard.
I'll come over to the wild side tomorrow.

cwilli26
10-14-2016, 04:24 PM

SarahRuth
10-14-2016, 10:29 PM
Sarah, I noticed you have your debts in your signature line. I think I'll do the same if you don't mind, thanks.
Thanks to everyone for the welcome aboard.
I'll come over to the wild side tomorrow.

Absolutely!! I stole the idea from others... :)

Shack4Tom
10-15-2016, 04:37 AM
Visitors Corner and Forum Information (Also tech support) is the only forum I can find. Maybe I haven't been given the go.

Jep
10-15-2016, 07:20 AM
Visitors Corner and Forum Information (Also tech support) is the only forum I can find. Maybe I haven't been given the go.
spoiled_lil_boy , can you help? :)

spoiled_lil_boy
10-15-2016, 03:56 PM
I'm not seeing anything which leads me to believe he's still in probationary moderation mode. Maybe log off, clear cache and cookies and log back in with the"Remember Me" box checked?

Shack4Tom
10-16-2016, 10:24 AM
I've been reading a couple articles and am wondering what are acronyms BS1 and BS2, TMMO and DFF board. I don't have a college degree but I did serve in the military (the one that used acronyms). Thanks.

cwilli26
10-16-2016, 10:29 AM
BS1 = Baby Step 1 (this is the $1k emergency fund)
BS2 = Baby Step 2 (this is payoff all non-mortgage debt)
TMMO = Total Money Make Over (the Dave Ramsey book that is the basis for the BS's and this site)
DFF = Debt Free Fanatics (this site which was created when the TMMO forums were discontinued)

Shack4Tom
10-16-2016, 10:53 AM
cwilli26, your Journey to Debt Freedom article sold me, thanks.
I bought the book and it should arrive in a week. Ok that was the second step to freedom my first was admitting I needed help and registering to this website. Thanks again.
PS do you still play poker? One day your grandchildren will make a movie about you.

cwilli26
10-16-2016, 11:05 AM

Thanks. We're pretty proud of the journey we've taken and the direction we're going.

I bought the book and it should arrive in a week. Ok that was the second step to freedom my first was admitting I needed help and registering to this website. Thanks again.

You're welcome. The book literally changed our lives. Follow the principles there and yours will too.

PS do you still play poker? One day your grandchildren will make a movie about you.

I do although I haven't played much this year since I was deployed 5+ months in Texas where there are no legal cardrooms. I'm deployed now in Colorado, so the only day I have available to play is Sunday but I've been spending those watching the NFL and NASCAR.

Check out this link if you like discussing poker: http://www.debtfreefanatics.com/threads/6731-Poker?highlight=poker.

SueandTom
10-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Tom, my Tom was in the Army- we lived in Fayetteville from '89-'92. It does teach you a great many acronyms, doesn't it?

Shack4Tom
10-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Navy here, Anchors Aweigh!
HT1, USS Dixon AS-37, six years and an honorable discharge. The Dixon was home ported in Point Loma Subase San Diego Ca.
Yes more acronyms than I could ever count (most were not nice).

Shack4Tom
10-16-2016, 04:15 PM
SueandTom thank you for your service to our country, I know it was a personal sacrifice.

SueandTom
10-16-2016, 06:03 PM
More so for Tom than for me, but thank you.

I have a soft spot for the Navy, too, as my dad was in the Navy when I was born... not far from Point Loma. :)

Shack4Tom
10-16-2016, 06:51 PM
32nd street Base in San Diego maybe?
My dad was Navy too, a Shipfitter on the USS Pervis a destroyer home ported in Rhode Island during the Korean Conflict. Oh the stories one especially comes to mind: $45 per month-not much so he started a small slush fund (it got bigger than he could handle). To make a long story short: he came home in 1955 with a pocket full of $$$ and a gold ring from a sailor that couldn't pay his debt with cash. I now wear the ring proudly. Maybe I could use this ring as my profile picture? Do you have a story to share from the Army Footlocker?

SueandTom
10-16-2016, 08:11 PM
My birth certificate says National City. :)

As for stories, I can tell you that the first five times Tom ever went up in an airplane, he had to jump out!

Shack4Tom
10-17-2016, 04:59 AM
My son Jacob was born in National City also, Paradise Hospital Jan of 1989. Its a small world. Oh and he bought his first house 3 months ago.

SueandTom
10-17-2016, 05:21 AM
:)

GertieMcFuzz
10-17-2016, 09:14 AM
My birth certificate says National City. :)

As for stories, I can tell you that the first five times Tom ever went up in an airplane, he had to jump out!

LOL, the first 5 times my dad went up in a plane (Air Force) he puked... he didn't go for number 6.

Shack4Tom
10-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Ok got the book today. I think I'll read a while.