PDA

View Full Version : The least effective method to getting a moderator to notice a problem thread...

EvilGreebo
03-27-2017, 08:54 AM
... is to send a PM to an admin.

Folks - if you need to bring a thread to our attention, every single post has an icon that looks like an exclamation mark in a triangle.

CLICK THAT, please. Fill out a thread report.

When you do that, it sends an email to every moderator on the site (me included). It gives us links DIRECTLY to the post in question, so we can find it easily, and it means we don't have to stumble around blind trying to figure out what the heck the problem is. It also creates a group thread for us mods/admins in our staff area so we can decide upon a course of action.

By contrast, when you send a PM (worse if you only send it to one of us) then odds are you're not giving us enough information and quite probably won't even get noticed if that person (or people) don't happen to be online that minue.

So please - PMs are not the right way to report issues - use the forum tools you have.

SueandTom
03-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Found the triangle- started to use it to send you a sunny message, but then I saw the warning under the box that popped up.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

EvilGreebo
03-27-2017, 09:13 AM
You know my work nickname is literally "sunshine"?

I'm not kidding.

It's cause of how much I brighten up a room when I leave.

SueandTom
03-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Maybe we should all sing "You Are My Sunshine" to Greebo.

Bwahahaha!

EvilGreebo
03-27-2017, 09:18 AM
But do you know what my blunt message telling people to stop PMing mods and to use the report icon will be?

Memorable. :D

I deal with end users day in and day out in my job. Ask them 1000 times to follow proper procedures, but do it nicely, and nothing changes.

Ask rudely once, and they'll remember. ;)

SueandTom
03-27-2017, 10:23 AM
I think my dad figured that out half a century ago.

J-E-T-S-
03-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Maybe we should all sing "You Are My Sunshine" to Greebo.

Bwahahaha!

Sounds more like "walkin on sunshine" :)

EvilGreebo
03-27-2017, 12:45 PM
I don't care what song you sing at me if you'll stop pm'ing me obscure "hey are you watching that thread" messages that don't give me a clue what thread needs watching.

:p