PDA

View Full Version : Helpful hints

EvilGreebo
09-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Since this is new software to many of us, me in particular, here's a thread for helpful tips in using it.

If you find something interesting in this software you think that others will benefit by using, please feel free to share it here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my first one for everyone. YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR DISPLAY NAME YOURSELF.

Go to:
-- Account Settings

Change your 'Name' field.

Scroll all the way down and Save.

EvilGreebo
09-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Here's another one.

If you view a post, note at the top and bottom, there's a 'Previous and Next' link. This will take you to the prior or next post in whatever list you were looking at before you opened the topic.
http://babystepaddict.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8.0;attach=4;image

So if you're in a forum, open the 7th thread, then click previous, it'll take you to the 6th.

But - if you click on 'Show unread posts' by your profile pic (top left corner), you get a list of new posts. Open one of those, then use previous/next, and it'll take you to the next or prior thread with UNREAD posts based on when you did the search.
http://babystepaddict.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8.0;attach=6;image

Very cool..

Shelbruk
09-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Please explain Karma, or direct me to the explanation.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Please explain Karma, or direct me to the explanation.

Here ya go. (http://babystepaddict.com/index.php?topic=7.0)

Shelbruk
09-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Thank you, SLB!

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 08:03 AM
How to find your own posts/threads:
- Click on your own username or look at your profile
- Click on Show Posts to see all the posts you've written
- Click on Show Threads to see all the topics you've started

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Want to pay close attention to a specific thread?

Click the 'Notify' button at the bottom of the thread.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-02-2015, 08:21 AM
How to find your own posts/threads:
- Click on your own username or look at your profile
- Click on Show Posts to see all the posts you've written
- Click on Show Threads to see all the topics you've started

Whoa. All kinds of statistical stuff in there too!

And I just gotta say: that 'Show unread posts since last visit.' thing? It's ... beautiful. *sniff*

PersistencePaysOff
09-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Hi, I just posted a photo in Frugal Living and I was happy it showed up, but how do I rotate it? Thanks again for this site, I am overjoyed!

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Hi, I just posted a photo in Frugal Living and I was happy it showed up, but how do I rotate it? Thanks again for this site, I am overjoyed!

You would have to do that before you post the photo.

PersistencePaysOff
09-02-2015, 08:53 AM
The photo showed up in the normal view when I selected it.

SueandTom
09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
The quote bubble under my name has a little yellow spot in it- what does that mean? I checked my messages and I have none.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-02-2015, 09:25 AM
The quote bubble under my name has a little yellow spot in it- what does that mean? I checked my messages and I have none.

I think it has something to do with your karma score. Greebo is at -9972 and has 5 red boxes.

hefty244
09-02-2015, 09:34 AM

It means you're online. If you're not online the box is empty.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-02-2015, 09:38 AM

Disagree. Shelbruk is not online right now and still shows a yellow box here. She shows a blank box in the memberlist -- which definitely indicates whether someone is online or not -- so maybe that's what you were thinking of.

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 09:45 AM

Disagree. Shelbruk is not online right now and still shows a yellow box here. She shows a blank box in the memberlist -- which definitely indicates whether someone is online or not -- so maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Wrong spot.

Not under your 'Newbie' title, but under your custom line 'Don't give me advice' you've got a few icons. The 3rd is a PM icon and also indicates your online status.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-02-2015, 09:49 AM

Wrong spot.

Not under your 'Newbie' title, but under your custom line 'Don't give me advice' you've got a few icons. The 3rd is a PM icon and also indicates your online status.

Ohhhhhhhhhh.

Good Lord, that's tiny. Not good for us old people with failing vision.

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 09:50 AM

I'm sorry but the software did not rotate your picture for you. It presents how it was uploaded. If you had rotated it on your own PC, it may not have been done in a manner that actually rotated the saved file, but simply told your computer to rotate it for you.

This isn't something I can help you with.

PersistencePaysOff
09-02-2015, 10:14 AM

I'm sorry but the software did not rotate your picture for you. It presents how it was uploaded. If you had rotated it on your own PC, it may not have been done in a manner that actually rotated the saved file, but simply told your computer to rotate it for you.

Hmm, interesting! I will work on figuring it out. Thanks again!

SueandTom
09-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks! I did figure out that the icon of the world is where my website info is located.

Lots to learn here, but I am a happy student today!

When I got up this morning, I scurried to the computer to make sure y'all were still here.

SueandTom
09-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Um, how will I know when I do have a message? Don't want to overlook it.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-02-2015, 10:55 AM
How about I send you one and you see how it tells you?

SueandTom
09-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Yes, please, Spoiled.

SueandTom
09-02-2015, 11:28 AM
I got Spoiled's message and an email notification of same.

A 1 appeared next to My Messages at the top. Yay!

GertieMcFuzz
09-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Under your profile you can change settings to have a quick reply box always showing (along with other useful things).

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 11:41 AM
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Category:Basic_Bulletin_Board_Code

^^ List of tags used in this software. Not sure if it's complete or not, but it's helpful on how to use some of them.

hefty244
09-02-2015, 11:43 AM

Interesting. I wonder what levels of Karma it denotes? You have a 12 and no light; I have an 8 and a light. It also shows you as offline and me as online when I hover over the box (which is why I thought what I posted above).

D'oh Hefty, read page 2 BEFORE you reply :/

Can you tell I love the strike-through option, because I do :)

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 11:59 AM
AHA!

The boxes under the name must tie to post counts! Spoiled has moved up to Jr. Member and now has 2 boxes.

SueandTom
09-02-2015, 12:08 PM
I want more boxes!

Is post-padding allowed?

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 12:36 PM
I want more boxes!

Is post-padding allowed?

::)
It's a tried and true tradition in this family, so I'm not going to say no.

But lets keep it limited?

SueandTom
09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
I will do my best. ;)

cwilli26
09-02-2015, 04:47 PM
How about posting pictures? I posted one in PH and it was very small (never did learn how to do it in the old software). Others have posted nice, large pics.

stressedmess
09-02-2015, 06:03 PM
I hate to ask dumb questions...but I am not the most savvy computer person :o

I cannot locate a 'next' or 'last/previous' button for the pages within a thread. Trying to use the page numbers to navigate gets tough because the buttons are so small. Am I missing something?

I have other questions...but for now that is the one bugging me. Thanks.

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 06:09 PM

I cannot locate a 'next' or 'last/previous' button for the pages within a thread. Trying to use the page numbers to navigate gets tough because the buttons are so small. Am I missing something?

What would you think ---

Previous 2 3 4 Next
or
<< 2 3 4 >> ?

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 06:10 PM

One thing I've done is make an attachment then click on the attachment to get it's link, then use THAT to post the attachment inline, but it is clunky.

You can, of course, link to images hosted elsewhere, but that's not what you're talking about.

I'm seeing some interesting options - need to find one that works with this version.

stressedmess
09-02-2015, 06:33 PM

What would you think ---

Previous 2 3 4 Next
or
<< 2 3 4 >> ?

I like the Previous/Next personally, but anything that is easier than trying in vein to touch the right page number only to clunkily get the wrong one. Thanks!!!

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 06:35 PM
I've tried installing a mod for that but it doesn't seem to be working. It is on my radar, however.

stressedmess
09-02-2015, 06:38 PM
The old site had a 'Last Read' that was handy.

Also, when I post a reply, it throws me back out the main menu within the category that I am posting in, rather than remaining within the thread I just replied in.

Am I doing something wrong?

EvilGreebo
09-02-2015, 08:41 PM
It's an option you can set but I THOUGHT I'd set the default for everyone to post then return to the thread. I just tried again. Check now please.

stressedmess
09-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Testing for Greebo.

It worked!!! Thanks.

Immerito
09-03-2015, 12:14 PM
If you want to post a link, and instead of displaying the URL, wish to display a link's title, how do you do that?

Example, instead of http://www.google.com, I wish for the link to display 'Google'.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-03-2015, 12:21 PM
If you want to post a link, and instead of displaying the URL, wish to display a link's title, how do you do that?

Example, instead of http://www.google.com, I wish for the link to display 'Google'.

[ url=http://www.google.com ]Google[ / url]

without spaces, of course

Google (http://www.google.com)

EvilGreebo
09-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Animated avatars:

If the animated gif is too big, SMF resizing can bork it.

Go here:
http://ezgif.com/resize

Resize the gif to 100 px wide, auto height
Save it, upload it as your new avatar

Immerito
09-03-2015, 12:54 PM

[ url=http://www.google.com ]Google[ / url]

without spaces, of course

Google (http://www.google.com)

Thanks Spoiled!

shellypaints
09-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Animated avatars:

If the animated gif is too big, SMF resizing can bork it.

Go here:
http://ezgif.com/resize

Resize the gif to 100 px wide, auto height
Save it, upload it as your new avatar

Speaking of animated avatars - yours seems to be well, ummm, it's well, it's rather suggestive in a naughty sort of way :o

EvilGreebo
09-03-2015, 05:58 PM
It's a dog, dancing.

Deal.
https://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2qpEUoaKgY7iQo/giphy.gif

Jazz_Luvr
09-03-2015, 08:36 PM
How does the 'Say Thanks' work? I'm guessing it's different than 'Karma' but not sure how.

TIA

SueandTom
09-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Huh. Now I know.

Shandie80
09-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Can I post pictures or video straight from my phone?

EvilGreebo
09-04-2015, 03:38 AM
How does the 'Say Thanks' work? I'm guessing it's different than 'Karma' but not sure how.

TIA

It's a way of showing appreciation for a single post. I rather like it better than Karma because it's post specific.

EvilGreebo
09-04-2015, 03:39 AM

I'm not sure. Have you tried?

spoiled_lil_boy
09-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Filed under 'What Sorcery Is This?':

I just quoted somebody, and then they changed the post I quoted. I went to edit my post (containing the quote) and the changed post automagically appeared where I had quoted it previously.

Whoa.

... and where's the 'Shocked' ( : Q ) emoticon?

EnV
09-04-2015, 10:33 AM
and the dancing banana?

EvilGreebo
09-04-2015, 10:36 AM

I just quoted somebody, and then they changed the post I quoted. I went to edit my post (containing the quote) and the changed post automagically appeared where I had quoted it previously.

Whoa.

I could not reproduce this.

EvilGreebo
09-04-2015, 10:37 AM
and the dancing banana?
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071019155930/uncyclopedia/images/7/7b/Dancing_banana.gif

spoiled_lil_boy
09-04-2015, 10:48 AM

Whoa.

I could not reproduce this.

Maybe it's a timing thing, but I swear to you it happened.

EvilGreebo
09-04-2015, 12:54 PM
It's ok spoiled. I believe you. I believe you...

spoiled_lil_boy
09-04-2015, 01:08 PM
Eventually it'll happen to someone else, and I'll be vindicated.

You'll see.

You'll ALL see!!!!

Shandie80
09-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Nope. I don't know how to add pictures. Period. Help?

theyapper66
09-04-2015, 06:30 PM
I got nothing but sincere thanks for setting this site up.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-04-2015, 06:35 PM

Yay! Look who's here!

shellypaints
09-04-2015, 06:49 PM

Why hello there old friend. :)

Jazz_Luvr
09-04-2015, 07:15 PM
How do you quote two separate responses? Not an imbedded quote in a quote.

EvilGreebo
09-04-2015, 07:19 PM

Nope. I don't know how to add pictures. Period. Help?
testing

EvilGreebo
09-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Yes you can!

spoiled_lil_boy
09-04-2015, 07:24 PM

Click Quote on the first post. Click Quote on the second post. Add your comment.

Jazz_Luvr
09-04-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote the first post. Select the relevant portion. Copy. Cancel the quote by hitting the back button. Quote the second post. Paste the first quote into the box.

Similar to the old place. Thanks!

EvilGreebo
09-04-2015, 07:27 PM
I just hit quote twice.

spoiled_lil_boy
09-04-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote the first post. Select the relevant portion. Copy. Cancel the quote by hitting the back button. Quote the second post. Paste the first quote into the box.

I just hit quote twice.

Well I'll be darned........

Jazz_Luvr
09-04-2015, 07:33 PM

I just hit quote twice.

Well I'll be darned........

I just hit quote twice.

Did it work?

YES!!! Feeling like one of the cool kids!