PDA

View Full Version : Forum Software

pellmell
09-01-2015, 09:30 PM
It's disappointing that this forum uses SMH software. It's not very powerful, and once it is in full use, it will be difficult to impossible to switch. The copyright message at the bottom says 2011. I hope this is not a 2011 version of the software.

lexnaturalis
09-02-2015, 04:12 PM
SMF 2.0.10 was released April 2015, so it's not a 2011 version.

What forum software would you suggest?

pellmell
09-02-2015, 04:32 PM
SMF 2.0.10 was released April 2015, so it's not a 2011 version.

What forum software would you suggest?

vBulletin. Since it's commercial, it's fully supported, and it's powerful. I generally don't trust free software. There are enough people here willing to contribute to the cause that a vBulletin license WITH support can be purchased and maintained.

pellmell
09-02-2015, 04:33 PM
To be fair, I'll get used to it, but of the forums that seem to be the most awkward of the ones I frequent, SMH is overwhelmingly the software used on those sites.

Now get back to studying. The bar pass rate in our state DROPPED by 14% this year. A lot of people paid $150,000 to flunk the bar exam.

lexnaturalis
09-02-2015, 05:26 PM
vBulletin. Since it's commercial, it's fully supported, and it's powerful. I generally don't trust free software. There are enough people here willing to contribute to the cause that a vBulletin license WITH support can be purchased and maintained.

vBulletin is actually very nice. Their native mobile apps are pretty slick, too.

Shelbruk
09-02-2015, 09:36 PM
So how much would it cost?

pellmell
09-02-2015, 10:18 PM
I haven't priced it lately, but it should be less than $1000. The last time I priced it, it was less than $500, as I recall.

lexnaturalis
09-03-2015, 09:31 AM
If you get the mobile version plus the regular version it's $399

EvilGreebo
09-03-2015, 09:43 AM
I haven't priced it lately, but it should be less than $1000. The last time I priced it, it was less than $500, as I recall.

The forum software is SMF, not SMH.

And if you want to cough up half a grand, great. I LOVE vBulletin.

jjohnson777
09-03-2015, 01:34 PM
This pretty good software. I have vBulletin software bought it as one bought long before was no longer supported. Hate it I like IPS better.

pellmell
09-03-2015, 04:35 PM
The forum software is SMF, not SMH.

You're lucky I got two of the three letters correct.

And if you want to cough up half a grand, great. I LOVE vBulletin.

With all the people willing to donate, I doubt it would take more than an hour to raise that much money. But what do I know?

EvilGreebo
09-03-2015, 07:21 PM
pellmell, let me point out that this forum is now slightly less than three days old, and it was put up rather hastily in a desperate attempt to set up a temporary site for TMMO members to use while the TMMO forums were offline. No intention existed in my mind at all of making it a permanent place to post at the time I set it up, nor did I seek to make any kind of profit from it.

So I must say, having someone complain about what software was chosen, then get snarky about how much money I could raise to support satisfying said complainer rather rubs me the wrong way.

If you dislike the software so intensely, nothing requires you to use it.

EvilGreebo
09-03-2015, 07:23 PM
This pretty good software. I have vBulletin software bought it as one bought long before was no longer supported. Hate it I like IPS better.

Is it no longer supported? That's disappointing, but not surprising. I remember when Jelsoft sold it. A sad day.

pellmell
09-04-2015, 05:46 AM
pellmell, let me point out that this forum is now slightly less than three days old, and it was put up rather hastily in a desperate attempt to set up a temporary site for TMMO members to use while the TMMO forums were offline. No intention existed in my mind at all of making it a permanent place to post at the time I set it up, nor did I seek to make any kind of profit from it.

So I must say, having someone complain about what software was chosen, then get snarky about how much money I could raise to support satisfying said complainer rather rubs me the wrong way.

If you dislike the software so intensely, nothing requires you to use it.

I wasn't being snarky, and I don't understand how you got that impression. Go back and read my comment again. The ability to raise money to support the forum is an enviable position.

I was offering my opinion as I have been on several forums that use this software. I don't dislike it so intensely and never said that.

Consider my forum software comments withdrawn. Maybe I'm the first casualty.

ironwoman05
09-07-2015, 09:28 AM
I see VBulletin mentioned as no longer supported. I am ignorant of forum software market, technology, etc but I wonder if at least some VBulletin is still supported.... because the most functional forum I use has VBulletin at the bottom.

One nice feature is that if you go to threads you have been in, with new replies, it takes you to the place in the thread where you were last reading.

I'm grateful Greebo started this forum, just throwing something out there that might help keep it alive for a long time. ?

spoiled_lil_boy
09-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Given recent experiences, I am completely in favor of having forum software which can be kept current and maybe even enhanced from time to time. I am further in favor of providing funding -- either through surplus in the regular donation channel or by a separate 'Building Fund' with its own channel -- to purchase (if necessary) and maintain whatever forum software The Powers That Be prefer.

EvilGreebo
09-07-2015, 08:09 PM
One nice feature is that if you go to threads you have been in, with new replies, it takes you to the place in the thread where you were last reading.

SMF does have that. Click 'new' in the topic list by the topic name.

EvilGreebo
09-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I've administered a few vBulletin sites, and so I'm very comfortable with it and familiar with how powerful it is.

However, the latest version of vBulletin comes with a hefty price tag. It's $250/year.

But people have been so generous, I'm seriously thinking about converting when the paypal setup is finalized.

Lex might kill me though...

spoiled_lil_boy
09-07-2015, 11:34 PM
However, the latest version of vBulletin comes with a hefty price tag. It's $250/year.

But people have been so generous, I'm seriously thinking about converting when the paypal setup is finalized.

Dude, practically everybody on this site was paying at least a quarter of that to be on that other site with the antiquated software. I really think you should be able to have the software you like -- even that is terribly inadequate compensation for what you're doing for us.

So, if my math is correct, so far you need three people paying what they were paying before to cover the month-to-month operating expenses and now four more to cover the software. Seven people out of 500. Less than 1%.

If only 1% of this user base is supporting the site, something is horribly wrong.

But you still have to weigh all that against Lex firebombing your house. :) Does he know where you live?