PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Hints - vBulletin Edition

EvilGreebo
09-12-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm creating a NEW hints and tips thread since vBulletin is much different.

Number one: READ THE FAQ (http://www.debtfreefanatics.com/faq.php)! It contains TONS of information on posting, how the software works, etc.

If you ask me questions that are answered in the FAQ, I'm going to reply with a link to the topic to read. :)

EvilGreebo
09-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Some useful navigation pointers.

In a list of threads (search results, forum page, whatever), 174 is the "take me to the first unread post" button and 175 is the "go to last post" button.

Hover over those images and they'll helpfully tell you what they do!

wintersong
09-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Some useful navigation pointers.

In a list of threads (search results, forum page, whatever), 174 is the "take me to the first unread post" button and 175 is the "go to last post" button.

Hover over those images and they'll helpfully tell you what they do!

You have a picture of a blue circle with down arrows or a rectangle with sideway arrows. I'm here looking at your tips. I don't see the blue things on your 2 posts. Am I in the wrong place to see the blue things? Or, did I do some sort of modification on settings that now means I can't see your blue things?

EvilGreebo
09-12-2015, 06:54 PM
You have to be looking at a list of threads.

wintersong
09-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Ahh!
Not in the thing but thinking about going into the thing. Gotcha. (I hope.)

stressedmess
09-12-2015, 08:06 PM
What is the "+ at the bottom of a post in the grey bottom border?

Jazz_Luvr
09-12-2015, 08:17 PM
It's to quote multiple posts.

When you click on it, it puts a check mark next to the post. Then when you Reply with Quote, all of the ones that are checked are quoted in your reply.

SueandTom
09-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Wintersong, I just want to say that your avatar is gorgeous!

wintersong
09-12-2015, 08:35 PM
I've figured out how to get an avatar, but I haven't figured out how to add the words at the bottom.
I tried "edit signature" but nothing is displaying so that must not be it. So, stressed and Jazz Luvr, how did you do that?

wintersong
09-12-2015, 08:36 PM
oh look! it showed up. How did that happen?

wintersong
09-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks Sue. I love your blue bird! You are so talented.
I had to steal mine from clip art.

Jazz_Luvr
09-12-2015, 08:38 PM
oh look! it showed up. How did that happen?

Magic!! :o

GertieMcFuzz
09-14-2015, 09:08 AM
I tried looking in the FAQ's but am not having luck.

In the old (but new) forum when I did the advance reply it had a bunch of buttons to add different types of text, smiles, etc. Is it a setting to get those types of buttons to show up in my advance reply box?

EvilGreebo
09-14-2015, 09:11 AM
General settings -> Miscellaneous Options -> Enhanced Interface

http://www.debtfreefanatics.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

GertieMcFuzz
09-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Thank you!

I saw "Full WYSIWYG Editing" and thought, "Gert, remember that time you accidentally set your iPad to Korean? You should not select options you do not understand."

spoiled_lil_boy
09-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Relevant blog posts are in the works as well.

ironwoman05
09-15-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm familiar with the "USER CP" page, which is where I usually start my visit on another Vbulletin forum.

I found it here with a few clicks but is there a way to get it to the top of the page for a quick link? (ie where "My Profile", "Settings" etc is ?

For those who don't know, that shows the new posts in subscribed threads, amongst other things.

EvilGreebo
09-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Try just clicking on your name in the top bar. Is that what you're looking for?

CookieB
09-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Also, at the bottom of the screen, there's a Top button.

I also love the View First Unread link. :star:

KFinLA
11-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Everytime I try to upload an avatar or picture it says that Bulletin has failed. It is just a simple clip art picture in a .pdf file so I don't believe it is too big. Any ideas?

Duh...nevermind! :suspicion:

ironwoman05
12-15-2015, 06:06 PM
It's to quote multiple posts.

When you click on it, it puts a check mark next to the post. Then when you Reply with Quote, all of the ones that are checked are quoted in your reply.

yeah that's handy

But is there a way to undo it?

It works well when you use it, but if you come back to the same thread later then hit "reply with quote" on a new post, you get all of the posts you quoted in your reply box (again)

lexnaturalis
12-15-2015, 08:25 PM

Just click it again. It'll toggle back off.

EvilGreebo
12-16-2015, 08:18 AM
yeah that's handy

It works well when you use it, but if you come back to the same thread later then hit "reply with quote" on a new post, you get all of the posts you quoted in your reply box (again)
You shouldn't, unless you're using the back button on the browser, which is telling the browser "return to the previous page in the state in which I left it" so if you're doing that, and getting the multiple replies quoted again, it's cause you should.

ironwoman05
12-16-2015, 08:31 AM
You shouldn't, unless you're using the back button on the browser, which is telling the browser "return to the previous page in the state in which I left it" so if you're doing that, and getting the multiple replies quoted again, it's cause you should.

I get them when I come back to the thread, like the next day, which I do through "settings".

So when I want to make a new reply, all the old quotes also come up unless I go back and individually uncheck or individually delete the quotes in the reply window.

EvilGreebo
12-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I get them when I come back to the thread, like the next day, which I do through "settings".

So when I want to make a new reply, all the old quotes also come up unless I go back and individually uncheck or individually delete the quotes in the reply window.
When you quick the multi quote button on a reply it takes the content of that reply and sticks it in a cookie. When you reply, the cookie should be cleared. If you don't reply, they'll stay in the cookie for a long time.

If you're finding that you quote, reply, and they still stick around, lets try forcibly resetting your forum cache. CTRL-F5.

ironwoman05
12-16-2015, 09:56 AM
When you quick the multi quote button on a reply it takes the content of that reply and sticks it in a cookie. When you reply, the cookie should be cleared. If you don't reply, they'll stay in the cookie for a long time.

If you're finding that you quote, reply, and they still stick around, lets try forcibly resetting your forum cache. CTRL-F5.

Thanks

And the multi-quotes were gone this morning when I posted from a different computer, so the "cookie" thing totally makes sense.

lexnaturalis
12-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks

And the multi-quotes were gone this morning when I posted from a different computer, so the "cookie" thing totally makes sense.

Doing a test to see if it goes away.

lexnaturalis
12-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Doing a test to see if it goes away.

For me it went away after I replied. Maybe I'll play around some more to see if I can recreate the issue.

ironwoman05
12-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Okay so one of the quotes I had in the controversial "hungry children" group just won't go away. I let it stay there, I have new replies, and it just keeps following me around like a sticky booger.

shellypaints
12-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Okay so one of the quotes I had in the controversial "hungry children" group just won't go away. I let it stay there, I have new replies, and it just keeps following me around like a sticky booger.

Have you tried logging out, clearing your cookies and then logging back in?

EvilGreebo
12-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Have you tried logging out, clearing your cookies and then logging back in?
This

ironwoman05
12-17-2015, 11:52 AM
hmmm.... it went away without that

EvilGreebo
12-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Magic :D

ironwoman05
12-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Like this