PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Mods

wintersong
02-20-2022, 10:05 AM
I'm working on my March allocated spending plan. Do we (DFF) need any money? My irregular expense sheet has DFF down as a March expense.

cwilli26
02-20-2022, 10:23 AM
I have prepared an announcement for that purpose and was waiting for coolmom42 to post it as an announcement (I'm not sure how to do that exactly). We are introducing a new payment method, so please hang tight until that announcement comes out.

And thanks for the reminder!

coolmom42
02-21-2022, 07:25 PM
cwilli26 I thought I figured it out and then didn't. Lemme try again.

wintersong
02-24-2022, 09:35 AM
coolmom42 I see your announcement about using Zelle for donations. I'm in. But, I need help getting in. How does Zelle work? I clicked on our gmail link in your announcement but that only leads to--so surprised--email. I thought it would lead to Zelle. I could use some hand holding here.
Thanks.

cwilli26
02-24-2022, 09:37 AM
wintersong - check your bank app and see if it’s offered. From there, it is pretty intuitive.

violetfizz
02-24-2022, 09:43 AM
I started the Zelle transaction and it gave me a notice that the DFF gmail acct is associated with Bridgette. Is this correct? Just want to be sure before I click send!

I dm'd coolmom but I know she's busy. Want to do this before I head out the door for the day. Thanks

stressedmess
02-24-2022, 09:45 AM
If my bank does not offer Zelle, is there any way I can contribute??? My bank uses PopMoney.

cwilli26
02-24-2022, 09:46 AM
I started the Zelle transaction and it gave me a notice that the DFF gmail acct is associated with Bridgette. Is this correct? Just want to be sure before I click send!

I dm'd coolmom but I know she's busy. Want to do this before I head out the door for the day. Thanks

That’s correct.

And thank you!

cwilli26
02-24-2022, 09:47 AM
If my bank does not offer Zelle, is there any way I can contribute??? My bank uses PopMoney.

This is GertieMcFuzz’s department.

PayPal is currently still an option.

stressedmess
02-24-2022, 09:52 AM
This is GertieMcFuzz’s department.

PayPal is currently still an option.

I’m so old school and leary that I haven’t set up a PayPal account. Every time it gets to the payment method entry point, I stop and don’t complete the process.

cwilli26
02-24-2022, 10:32 AM
I’m so old school and leary that I haven’t set up a PayPal account. Every time it gets to the payment method entry point, I stop and don’t complete the process.

Well, I would not do it for this purpose. We are about to sunset that as an option.

Dorothy
02-24-2022, 10:52 AM
I'm glad I slipped in a small contribution before paypal option went away. :)

Brendenny
02-24-2022, 06:59 PM
When I tried Zelle on my US Bank app, it was asking for a phone number, so I went to Paypal. The email said I sent a payment to Joseph Z. Hope that is legit?

cwilli26
02-24-2022, 07:22 PM
When I tried Zelle on my US Bank app, it was asking for a phone number, so I went to Paypal. The email said I sent a payment to Joseph Z. Hope that is legit?

I believe so, but GertieMcFuzz can confirm.

cwilli26
02-24-2022, 07:23 PM

Did you not get the option to send it to the email address?

GertieMcFuzz
02-24-2022, 07:45 PM

Yep, that’s my husband…which is why I’d like to stop using PayPal.

GertieMcFuzz
02-24-2022, 07:46 PM

That’s me :)

GertieMcFuzz
02-24-2022, 07:51 PM
I am working on setting this up now, I’ll let you know once it goes through verification.

GertieMcFuzz
02-24-2022, 08:01 PM
Ok, it doesn’t directly link to our bank account but it will allow money to be sent to our DFF email address; I haven’t used popmoney before to know how that process works but it is available now. :)

SueandTom
02-24-2022, 08:08 PM
I did it! I did it!

Or at least I think I did. :)

textev
02-24-2022, 08:12 PM
For Zelle - what goes where? It looks like I used it years ago to send money to relatives but I don't remember how to do it. Where does debtfreefanatics@gmail.com go? The first name field?

Add a New Recipient
Only use Zelle® registered sign to pay people you know.
First name
Last name
You can use Zelle to send money to a business, as long as it is enrolled in Zelle. Enter the full name of the business in the First name field.
Nickname (Optional)
Your preferred name
Send by
Send by

Select one

cwilli26
02-24-2022, 08:21 PM
For Zelle - what goes where? It looks like I used it years ago to send money to relatives but I don't remember how to do it. Where does debtfreefanatics@gmail.com go? The first name field?

Add a New Recipient
First name
Last name
You can use Zelle to send money to a business, as long as it is enrolled in Zelle. Enter the full name of the business in the First name field.
Nickname (Optional)
Your preferred name
Send by
Send by

Select one

It looks like you have the radio button for "personal" checked. Change that to "business" and see if that works for you.

GertieMcFuzz
02-24-2022, 08:37 PM
I did it! I did it!

Or at least I think I did. :)
You did :)

textev
02-24-2022, 08:38 PM
It looks like you have the radio button for "personal" checked. Change that to "business" and see if that works for you.

The only options there are:

1. Click a previous recipient (names are given) versus click add a new recipient. I clicked add a new recipient.

2. Send by:

Mobile number
Email address
Wells Fargo account

And I chose email address.

I then typed in debtfreefanatics@gmail.com in the email address field. I clicked on next. I was alerted to fill in First Name and Last Name. I typed in debtfreefanatics@gmail.com in the first name field since that is the instruction (given below) if sending money to a business (which DFF isn't as far as I know but I didn't know what else to do) - and that wasn't accepted.

Add a New Recipient
First name
Last name
Nickname (Optional)
Your preferred name
Send by
Send by

Email address
Email address

GertieMcFuzz
02-24-2022, 08:43 PM
The only options there are:

1. Click a previous recipient (names are given) versus click add a new recipient. I clicked add a new recipient.

2. Send by:

Mobile number
Email address
Wells Fargo account

And I chose email address.

I then typed in debtfreefanatics@gmail.com in the email address field. I clicked on next. I was alerted to fill in First Name and Last Name. I typed in debtfreefanatics@gmail.com in the first name field since that is the instruction (given below) if sending money to a business (which DFF isn't as far as I know but I didn't know what else to do) - and that wasn't accepted.

Add a New Recipient
First name
Last name
Nickname (Optional)
Your preferred name
Send by
Send by

Email address
Email address

Can you send or pm me your email? Then I think can request money without putting my full name out on the web :)

stressedmess
02-24-2022, 08:44 PM
Ok, it doesn’t directly link to our bank account but it will allow money to be sent to our DFF email address; I haven’t used popmoney before to know how that process works but it is available now. :)

It requires a first and last name associated with the email address I enter. It says it will send you an email for this first time transaction asking for the bank deposit information. Shall I continue with a transaction?

stressedmess
02-24-2022, 09:08 PM
I just made the transaction, so you should receive an email asking you to confirm.

GertieMcFuzz
02-24-2022, 09:27 PM
I just made the transaction, so you should receive an email asking you to confirm.

Ok, that was pretty painless to go through :)

it did say it will take a few days to post to our account.

wintersong
02-24-2022, 09:28 PM
I tried to register for Zelle. But when it said "next" and I pushed Next, it logged me out.
Oh well. This is for my March budget anyway. I'll try next week.

fourteeners
02-24-2022, 09:31 PM
I sent via Zelle today and it worked fine using the gmail address.

Uppies
02-24-2022, 11:07 PM
I sent via Zelle with the email address and just put the first name as Debt Free and last name as Fanatics. I received a pop up warning me the acct was registered to Bridgette but it allowed me to continue.

textev
02-25-2022, 07:07 AM

Did you have information I don't or did you do something I didn't? I want to figure out why it isn't working for me when I think I'm doing it right.

textev
02-25-2022, 07:10 AM
I sent via Zelle with the email address and just put the first name as Debt Free and last name as Fanatics. I received a pop up warning me the acct was registered to Bridgette but it allowed me to continue.

Aha - so it does require a first and last name to make the transaction. Did you just come up with Debt Free and Fanatics for the first and last name yourself? If so, maybe it doesn't matter as long as there is something in those boxes. Do you know that the funds you sent were received?

KVinKC
02-25-2022, 07:21 AM
Mine was sent via paypal @Gert and I don't plan to use Zelle in the future because it asks for a debit card which I do not use. If I can directly link it to a bank account (not via debit card, I am willing to do so).

@wintersong (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=2483), once in paypal, you choose to send money, you enter the email address provided in the OP, at that point, the money will go to Joseph Z.

Brendenny
02-25-2022, 10:36 AM
Did you not get the option to send it to the email address?
I just retried it. Upon further inspection it says:

CONTACT INFORMATION (REQUIRED)
Add at least 1 phone number
or email address.
You are limited to 3 of each

So it looks like I could have used zelle if I had read more closely!

ETA: I had to choose the "This is a business" toggle switch to get these choices. The option for persons required a name.

stressedmess
02-25-2022, 10:38 AM
Did you have information I don't or did you do something I didn't? I want to figure out why it isn't working for me when I think I'm doing it right.

Gertie sent me a PM with her name so I could complete the transaction.

GertieMcFuzz
02-25-2022, 12:03 PM
In the last 2 or so days I have received money from:

Through Zelle:
HK
BC
CM
SW
AB
BK
GP

Paypal:
AS
DG (not a first last name)
V
CL
JL
SS
CB
AS
DB
AG

Paypal would only show completed transactions so if something was sent today it might not have "completed" yet.

SueandTom
02-25-2022, 12:11 PM
Looks like we can keep running for a while now! :)

GertieMcFuzz
02-25-2022, 12:13 PM
Looks like we can keep running for a while now! :)

Yes! We have at least another year of life and a healthy emergency fund with the current money in the bank.

Thank you all!

SueandTom
02-25-2022, 12:16 PM
Thanks to you, Gertie, and all who work to keep this place running!

lovesmurfs
02-25-2022, 12:44 PM
Late to the party, but sent this morning. Thanks to all.

Uppies
02-25-2022, 04:57 PM
Aha - so it does require a first and last name to make the transaction. Did you just come up with Debt Free and Fanatics for the first and last name yourself? If so, maybe it doesn't matter as long as there is something in those boxes. Do you know that the funds you sent were received?

Did you just come up with Debt Free and Fanatics for the first and last name yourself? Yes. I felt pretty confident that with the email address linked to it, the money was going to the correct place. When I submitted it told me that the acct. was linked to a name that started with a G. and asked me if I wanted to continue and I chose to do so.

Do you know that the funds you sent were received? Yes, thanks to Gertie's post

dutch5
02-25-2022, 09:15 PM
just sent money via paypal

textev
02-25-2022, 11:25 PM

ETA: I had to choose the "This is a business" toggle switch to get these choices. The option for persons required a name.

I cannot find a "business" toggle switch on Zelle.

Can someone post screen shot of it?

I want to donate. I just can't figure this out and it can't be that hard.

cwilli26
02-26-2022, 12:37 AM
I cannot find a "business" toggle switch on Zelle.

Can someone post screen shot of it?

I want to donate. I just can't figure this out and it can't be that hard.

polly-anna
02-26-2022, 07:36 AM
oh. I just put 'Gertie McFuzz' as the name thru Zelle.

this modern technology confuses and frightens me.

GertieMcFuzz
02-26-2022, 07:49 AM
Well, it seems like it requires a name but it doesn’t really matter what name you use.

fourteeners
02-26-2022, 07:58 AM
My bank supports Zelle, and transactions get sent from within the banking app on my phone; no debit card used. My screen did not look quite like Chuck's, but that might also be the difference between iOS and Android. Anyway, I think I chose Debt Free as the first name and Fanatics as the last name. I did not say it was a business. Worked like a champ.

I had been pronouncing it ZELL-ee, but apparently, it is just Zell. Not sure why they added the e at the end. Anyway, it is a product owned by Bank of America, BB&T (now Truist), Capital One, JPMorgan Chase, PNC Bank, U.S. Bank and Wells Fargo. It is likely available within the app for each of these banks. Probably more, too.

cwilli26
02-26-2022, 08:29 AM
My bank supports Zelle, and transactions get sent from within the banking app on my phone; no debit card used. My screen did not look quite like Chuck's, but that might also be the difference between iOS and Android. Anyway, I think I chose Debt Free as the first name and Fanatics as the last name. I did not say it was a business. Worked like a champ.

I had been pronouncing it ZELL-ee, but apparently, it is just Zell. Not sure why they added the e at the end. Anyway, it is a product owned by Bank of America, BB&T (now Truist), Capital One, JPMorgan Chase, PNC Bank, U.S. Bank and Wells Fargo. It is likely available within the app for each of these banks. Probably more, too.

I used the Zelle feature via my Schwab app for the record (from an iPhone, so iOS).

KVinKC
02-26-2022, 11:50 AM
In the last 2 or so days I have received money from:

Through Zelle:
HK
BC
CM
SW
AB
BK
GP

Paypal:
AS
DG (not a first last name)
V
CL
JL
SS
CB
AS
DB
AG

Paypal would only show completed transactions so if something was sent today it might not have "completed" yet.

Assuming I am the V?

polly-anna
02-26-2022, 06:05 PM

short 'gazelle'? meaning FAST electronic transactions?

ironwoman05
02-26-2022, 09:07 PM
I sent through zelle from my Chase account, no debit card required. All I had to do was put the email in and it said it was going to Bridgette. Let me know if you get something

textev
02-26-2022, 10:03 PM

I see what you mean. But my screen has literally no place to select business or personal. Here's a copy and paste right off my screen. Under "select to send money" it just lists the 2 relatives I sent money to several years ago and which was quick and easy, but I had their names and email addresses. (I deleted their information out of this email.)

Send Money with Zelle® registered sign

Receive Settings

Send and receive money securely - all you need is an email address or mobile number.
How do I request money? opens dialog
Warning

Scam Alert! Be on the lookout for scammers calling and pressuring you to send money to yourself with Zelle®registered sign.

Read more in the Security Center
Information

To receive money from others, register at least one email or mobile number.
Recipients
Select to send money.

Email to Notify Recipient:
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. Member FDIC.
Outgoing and Incoming Transfers
You have no recent sent transfer activity.
You have no incoming transfers in process at this time.
View Activity

I'm guessing that it is bank specific whether there is a place you can click to choose business or personal and mine just doesn't have it. I've got Wells Fargo.

Uppies
02-26-2022, 11:30 PM
textev I got the email address from this post at the top of the forum https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/announcement.php?f=65

email debtfreefanatics@gmail.com

You could use Bridget as the first name and debtfreefanatics as the last name

coolmom42
02-27-2022, 12:14 AM
You can still use Paypal.

coolmom42
02-27-2022, 12:19 AM

Yes.

I don't remember the details but when Bridget set up the Paypal, she was already on one with her hubby and couldn't make another one, or something like that. So his name shows up.

coolmom42
02-27-2022, 12:20 AM
cwilli26

You sent a payment through Zelle already, can you give details of how you did it?

cwilli26
02-27-2022, 01:08 AM
I'm beginning to think different banks or platforms or operating systems or whatever present differently and may have different steps, screens, etc. but I'll walk through what I did.

cwilli26

You sent a payment through Zelle already, can you give details of how you did it?

1. Launched Schwab app via my iPhone (IOS)
2. Launched Zelle within the Schwab app
3. Select "Send Money"
4. Select "New Contact"
5. Select "Business" radio button (screen shot below)
6. Enter "Debt Free Fanatics" in "Business Name" field
7. Enter "debtfreefanatics@gmail.com" in "E-mail" field
8. Click "Save"
9. Enter donation amount
10. Click "Review"
11. Click "Send Money"

Note: once this is setup, future donations are easily made as the forum will be saved as a "contact".

Hope that helps.

textev
02-27-2022, 07:03 AM
Uppies thanks for the instructions. I may try that.

textev
02-27-2022, 07:07 AM
Mainly to be sure I still could I went onto Pay Pal to see if I could do it that way and it had stored the name I used before:

DebtFreeFanatics.com

Is that still the right name to use for Pay Pal?

Are there fees for Debt Free Fanatics if I use Pay Pal?

Dorothy
02-27-2022, 02:46 PM
Are there fees for Debt Free Fanatics if I use Pay Pal?

I am 99.9% sure there are no fees if you do "friends and family"

textev
02-27-2022, 03:31 PM
I am 99.9% sure there are no fees if you do "friends and family"

Thanks for that info. I still don't know if the DebtFreeFanatics that I used last time is still good.

Dorothy
02-27-2022, 03:56 PM
Thanks for that info. I still don't know if the DebtFreeFanatics that I used last time is still good.

Does it show the e-mail? Mine was remembered from last time and worked, but I don't know if our last times were the same :)

coolmom42
02-27-2022, 04:16 PM

You should use either email (debtfreefanatics@gmail.com) or name (edited for privacy). It has Bridgetts hubbys name on it because she was already on this one and apparently you can't have 2 paypal accounts.

coolmom42
02-27-2022, 04:22 PM
I went through my bank website, not the banking app, just because I was already on my laptop.

Login, go to the account.
Send money with Zelle
Email or phone number of the recipient
Enter amount
Confirm correct email or phone number
Send money button
Confirmation page with confirmation code

The first time I used Zelle it did ask for a confirmation code that was texted to my phone.

I think cwilli26 is right, it varies a little bit. I was never asked to check business or individual.

Brendenny
02-27-2022, 08:00 PM
Paypal...DG...that is us, haha.

It stands for Dahlia Guy. We grew Dahlias in 2009 and 2010 and had paypal set up to sell tubers. Do you think I can get the name off? No. I had a personal account that moved to business for the dahlias, and I cannot figure how to get back to a personal account. It has been over 10 years and hasn't seemed like a problem, so no harm no foul.

coolmom42
02-27-2022, 09:27 PM
All this makes me appreciate my Capital One account. Their online banking has the best interface I have ever used or seen for online banking.

GertieMcFuzz
02-28-2022, 04:39 PM
Paypal...DG...that is us, haha.

It stands for Dahlia Guy. We grew Dahlias in 2009 and 2010 and had paypal set up to sell tubers. Do you think I can get the name off? No. I had a personal account that moved to business for the dahlias, and I cannot figure how to get back to a personal account. It has been over 10 years and hasn't seemed like a problem, so no harm no foul.
My problem is the opposite; my paypal got set up with DH's name and even though EVERYTHING else is me - email, bank, SS#, etc... I can't figure out how to get an account for me/switch this one. It's annoying but it works so... <shrug>

dmcknight
03-01-2022, 11:20 AM

I did a PP donation last night without thinking, it said the account was associated with xxxxxx, hopefully that is correct?
<edit> I think Gertie answered me before I asked. LOL

cwilli26
03-01-2022, 11:33 AM
I did a PP donation last night without thinking, it said the account was associated with xxxxxx, hopefully that is correct?
<edit> I think Gertie answered me before I asked. LOL

Correct

GertieMcFuzz
03-01-2022, 02:51 PM
As an FYI, there are fees associated with using PayPal (another reason I don’t like using for DFF); Zelle appears (judging by dollar amounts received) to charge for some users but not others. Probably depends on the bank agreement.

cwilli26
03-01-2022, 06:13 PM
As an FYI, there are fees associated with using PayPal (another reason I don’t like using for DFF); Zelle appears (judging by dollar amounts received) to charge for some users but not others. Probably depends on the bank agreement.

There are fees only under certain circumstances which can easily and leg be avoided. For our purposes, there should be no fees.

GertieMcFuzz
03-01-2022, 06:37 PM
There are fees only under certain circumstances which can easily and leg be avoided. For our purposes, there should be no fees.
I don’t know what to say, I’m just on the receiving end and am seeing a few non-round number deposits which I assumed was a few on their banks end. It could be someone intentionally contributed 20.22 or 49.95; I have no way of knowing.

cwilli26
03-02-2022, 09:25 AM
I don’t know what to say, I’m just on the receiving end and am seeing a few non-round number deposits which I assumed was a few on their banks end. It could be someone intentionally contributed 20.22 or 49.95; I have no way of knowing.

If the sender selects send to a friend or as a gift, no fees will be taken out. If they send in any other manner, PayPal will take a cut.

rolo4evr
03-02-2022, 09:54 AM
Is using Paypal still an option? I don't use my phone for banking and the only way to use Zelle is on the phone.

Dorothy
03-02-2022, 11:11 AM
Is using Paypal still an option? I don't use my phone for banking and the only way to use Zelle is on the phone.

Yes it is - although it sounds like it might not be next time. I am another who won't use my phone for banking.

Wahlee
03-02-2022, 11:38 AM
My bank doesn't use Zelle and since it's a credit union it's highly unlikely that will ever change. It looks like you can use it as a stand-alone app, but I've already got accounts on Venmo and Cash App and Google Pay and Paypal so don't really feel like setting up yet another money transfer account. If Paypal isn't going to be an option going forward, please make another option available!

GertieMcFuzz
03-02-2022, 11:55 AM
If the sender selects send to a friend or as a gift, no fees will be taken out. If they send in any other manner, PayPal will take a cut.

You mean Zelle, correct?

and, as I said, I don’t have fees on my end I’m just seeing what is being deposited.

rolo4evr
03-02-2022, 11:58 AM
Money donated via Paypal.

Mods/Admins, THANKS your work and commitment!

:sparkleheart:

cwilli26
03-02-2022, 12:18 PM
You mean Zelle, correct?

and, as I said, I don’t have fees on my end I’m just seeing what is being deposited.

No, I was talking about PayPai if you’re seeing odd amounts using that method. My dad is notorious for doing PayPal ‘wrong’ and the recipient will get $49 instead of $50, for example.

I don’t think Zelle has that issue unless you’re seeing something similarly odd in the amounts coming in.

GertieMcFuzz
03-02-2022, 04:58 PM
No, I was talking about PayPai if you’re seeing odd amounts using that method. My dad is notorious for doing PayPal ‘wrong’ and the recipient will get $49 instead of $50, for example.

I don’t think Zelle has that issue unless you’re seeing something similarly odd in the amounts coming in.

That's what I was saying, there are a few odd amounts coming in from Zelle. Not the majority, maybe 2-3. Zelle goes right to the bank account; I do nothing (which I prefer) so it could be the donor is putting in that odd amount, it could be a fee on their banks end. I don't know.

Paypal I have to move and those I can see what is donated vs. what we actually receive.

cwilli26
03-02-2022, 05:19 PM
That's what I was saying, there are a few odd amounts coming in from Zelle. Not the majority, maybe 2-3. Zelle goes right to the bank account; I do nothing (which I prefer) so it could be the donor is putting in that odd amount, it could be a fee on their banks end. I don't know.

Paypal I have to move and those I can see what is donated vs. what we actually receive.

Gotcha. I misunderstood.

polly-anna
03-05-2022, 08:56 AM
zelle works on a pc....I use it on my laptop all the time.

wintersong
03-05-2022, 05:46 PM
I tried to register for Zelle. But when it said "next" and I pushed Next, it logged me out.
Oh well. This is for my March budget anyway. I'll try next week.

I stopped at the bank today to ask about Zelle. They said if I don't give them a cell phone number, I can't use Zelle through them. They said Zelle works by cell phone numbers.

Do I have a cell? Yes. Do I give out the number? No. I give out my landline. The bank has my landline.
The bank said I can download the Zelle app and that Zelle won't spam me if I enter my cell in the app.

I know I'm being stubborn about giving the bank my cell, but they do marketing calls from time to time and that's what the landline is for.

So what do you think? Am I safe from spam calls and thieves if I download the app?
If I download it, can I delete it later?
I've donated by Pay Pal in the past but if Gertie is phasing it out.....it feels like I'm sabotaging her efforts to use Pay Pal. (But not saying I won't use Pay Pal.)

Advice?

violetfizz
03-05-2022, 06:08 PM
Zelle has never spam called me. So far it's been safe from thieves with no issues.

GertieMcFuzz
03-05-2022, 06:21 PM
Typically banks want cellphone # so they can text two-factor authorization numbers when needed.

Dorothy
03-05-2022, 06:28 PM
I've donated by Pay Pal in the past but if Gertie is phasing it out.....it feels like I'm sabotaging her efforts to use Pay Pal. (But not saying I won't use Pay Pal.)

Advice?

I opted to donate via PayPal and will deal with change when I have to :)

samkidsmom
03-05-2022, 06:50 PM
I also PayPalle'd but will go educate myself on Zelle. Old dog, new tricks...takes me a bit.:wink:

coolmom42
03-05-2022, 11:30 PM
IIRC I got a 2 factor authentication from Zelle the first time I used it. A security code texted to my phone and then entered in the Zelle app.

I've never had a phone call from Zelle OR my bank. I wouldn't put up with that.

wintersong
03-07-2022, 04:58 PM
I continue to not do so well with this.
I went and downloaded Zelle and gave Zelle my cell, but then I got the message, "Good News, your bank uses Zelle," and it sent me to the bank's login.

The good news was that when I clicked on Zelle within the bank's website, I was able to use my email address. This time it did not demand my cell. It sent a verification code to my email.
Unfortunately, I typed it in wrong.
It told me I typed it in wrong and to try again.
I added the missing digit.
Then it told me I had tried too many times and to try again later.

It did not define "later."

I'm trying to donate, but it just is not going well! I also couldn't locate the Announcement so if the Announcement has info that is needed for the donation, I have a second problem. coolmom42, does it have special info?

wintersong
03-07-2022, 05:44 PM
Update, 45 minutes later. My bank let me get into the Zelle thing and it wanted to access My Contacts. I said no, and then I said yes, but in neither answer did it give me an option to send to someone not in My Contacts list. (And now I'm suspicious that the bank might have my cell.)

What do I do now?

rolo4evr
03-07-2022, 08:44 PM
wintersong If you have a paypal you can still donate that way. That's what I did. I was having difficulty with the whole Zelle setup via my bank.

coolmom42
03-08-2022, 02:13 AM
This is the text of the announcement. What you need is the email..... debtfreefanatics@gmail.com

"Attention DFFers!

At our current burn rate of $49.99/mo, we have less than 6 months of funding left for the site.

If you are able, please consider making a contribution to the cause -- $5, $10, $20.....any amount is fine. And, remember, this is completely VOLUNTARY.

We are introducing Zelle as a contribution method. Zelle is integrated into many banking apps and websites. Paypal also remains an option at this time, although we may close it down at some point.

In either Zelle or Paypal, send contributions to debtfreefanatics@gmail.com

Please direct any questions or concerns to GertieMcFuzz (Treasurer Extraordinaire), coolmom42 (Admin Extraordinaire), or cwilli26 (that guy )."

GertieMcFuzz
03-08-2022, 08:43 AM
I can't really help when it comes to how specific sites use Zelle; it was a method suggested that our bank uses so I went with it. I have never sent money using it.

I can say it appears that it doesn't matter what name you put in; so long as you enter our debtfreefanatics@gmail.com email address it gets to us.

wintersong
03-08-2022, 01:36 PM
It is a really good thing that I love DFF or the aggravation would not have been worth it.
So today I again used the Zelle phone app which again transferred me to my bank whose mobile banking app I had downloaded when Zelle did that to me before.
It seemed to be better news. I was given a screen to enter the email address. I was given a screen that asked if this was the person I wanted to send the money to. I was given a screen to enter the dollar amount. I was given a screen that asked the purpose of the money.

After I said "gift" I got a screen that said I had to call the bank.

I was on hold with the bank for 22 minutes and then talked to the agent for another 23. Though her English was good, I'm not at all sure about her comprehension.
Or perhaps it was my comprehension.

She kept telling me my security was high. When I asked what that meant and whether I had put some sort of high security block on my bank account, she kept saying my security was high. Then she said she had to ask me some security questions.

I thought she was going to ask me for my Favorite Restaurant and Maternal Grandmother's Maiden Name.
But I was wrong.

She asked me who I was sending the money to, if I knew them, and what the purpose for sending the money was.

Anyway, I finally logged on to the laptop and succeeded in sending money. I told her it had worked. She kept talking and saying she was trying to see if it worked and continued to reference high security.

Pretty please, can I just mail a good old fashioned check next time? :)

I donated a whole number. Hope it arrives as a whole number.

GertieMcFuzz
03-08-2022, 03:28 PM
yep, whole number :)

Sorry it's such a bugger - we'll be set for a good while now.

1Maryann
03-08-2022, 09:55 PM
Got paid today, so sent money tonight thru Zelle. Tried to take a screenshot because my layout for switching to business is different than Chuck's, but it told me for security purposes my bank will not allow screenshots from the app (Fifth Third).

coolmom42
03-08-2022, 10:34 PM
wintersong you might find the process easier if you start from within your banking app, rather than starting with Zelle. That's how mine works.

wintersong
03-08-2022, 11:07 PM
wintersong you might find the process easier if you start from within your banking app, rather than starting with Zelle. That's how mine works.

I've finally been able to contribute so all is now well.

But, as I posted earlier, I started out trying to go through my bank and it kicked me out. When I talked to the bank about it, they said it was because I had my landline number with them instead of my cell. But I don't want them to have the cell, so someone in this thread suggested I just put the Zelle app on my phone and do it that way. Which didn't work b/c Zelle connected me back to my bank.

And today when I spent all that time with the bank customer service, I told her I didn't want the bank to have my cell and I asked if Zelle had given them my cell. She dodged the question. At least, I think it was a dodge--she said she couldn't answer me for privacy sake unless I showed I was me and she asked me for my cell number. Now, was that a trick to get me to give up my number, or did Zelle input my cell in their records? Dunno and given my amount of irritation, it would not have been pleasant had I pressed for clarification.

wannabedebtfree
03-08-2022, 11:44 PM
Yes! We have at least another year of life and a healthy emergency fund with the current money in the bank.

Thank you all!

Awesome! We appreciate all who do the hard work behind the scenes. I don't know where I'd be without the support of the kind folks here. I think of many of you as extended family. My pleasure to send you Paypal. I won't use Zelle.

wannabedebtfree
03-09-2022, 12:10 AM
This thread is too much like work. I work for a bank call center. Guess what I deal with all day long? Zelle questions, Zelle holds and blocks. Don't type that this is a gift unless you want to go through the drill of verifying that you know the sender because there is so much Zelle fraud going on right now.

In no particular order, the following do not accept Zelle or gift cards that you call a phone number and give the codes off of them for payments:

IRS
Social Security
Utility companies
Amazon

The latest scam is that you receive an email or phone call from "Amazon" or "utility company" telling you that you have ordered a big ticket item that is getting ready to post to your bank account and we need to refund it (the Amazon scam) or you have overpaid your bill (utility scam). Login to your online banking and into Zelle so we can "refund" the money. If you do and send the money, there's no way to recoup it. If you give them remote access to your computer, you've just given them your login info and compromised all your accounts. People with cell phones don't realize this is a mini computer and those bat rastards can hide software on those, too. Usually you end up opening new accounts and paying for your computer to be scrubbed and phones completely reset to factory settings.

You are out the money. You cannot get it back.

We think it's called Zelle because it rhymes with hell, where there's a special place reserved for those who scam, especially the elderly.

samkidsmom
03-09-2022, 11:13 AM
Just want to say that I LOVE THIS FORUM! People willing to nearly tear their hair out trying to donate money is simply...AWESOME!

:sparkleheart::sparkleheart::sparkleheart:

wintersong
03-09-2022, 01:33 PM
This thread is too much like work. I work for a bank call center. Guess what I deal with all day long? Zelle questions, Zelle holds and blocks. Don't type that this is a gift unless you want to go through the drill of verifying that you know the sender because there is so much Zelle fraud going on right now.

We think it's called Zelle because it rhymes with hell, where there's a special place reserved for those who scam, especially the elderly.

So. I am a non-techy. I'm also paranoid about websites and cell phones. But I love DFF. So since I put the Zelle app, as well as my bank's app, on my phone in a futile attempt to donate that way....
1) What do you suggest I do with the Zelle app and the bank app that are now on my phone?
2) And what do you suggest I do with the Zelle registration that is now connected to the bank and accessible through the bank's web page?

wannabedebtfree
03-09-2022, 06:43 PM
So. I am a non-techy. I'm also paranoid about websites and cell phones. But I love DFF. So since I put the Zelle app, as well as my bank's app, on my phone in a futile attempt to donate that way....
1) What do you suggest I do with the Zelle app and the bank app that are now on my phone?
2) And what do you suggest I do with the Zelle registration that is now connected to the bank and accessible through the bank's web page?

Zelle app: uninstall it. If your bank offers Zelle, you do Zelle through your bank.

Bank app: you can uninstall it.

Zelle enrollment: contact your bank and tell them you want your Zelle deactivated if you don't wish to use it. They will reach out to Zelle to get you unenrolled. You cannot use Zelle without being logged into your bank in some way. Obviously, keeping your passwords safe, clearing internet history, not using bookmarks for financial institutions are up there with keeping your accounts safe.

wintersong
03-09-2022, 11:18 PM
Thanks. Uninstalled. Hopefully we have enough money at DFF to last at least a year. Then I can fight with technology all over again.

Anarchy
03-25-2022, 01:36 PM
I'll certainly donate.

coolmom42
03-26-2022, 08:41 PM

Uninstall the apps from your phone.

Leave the Zelle registration alone so you can use it!

coolmom42
03-26-2022, 08:43 PM
I'll certainly donate.

GREAT to see you back! You have been missed.

Anarchy
03-26-2022, 09:02 PM
GREAT to see you back! You have been missed.

Thank you I'm still around.My job keeps me so busy I tend to fall off the radar.

cwilli26
03-26-2022, 09:05 PM
Thank you I'm still around.My job keeps me so busy I tend to fall off the radar.

You're just out there building that dividend paying stock portfolio baby!

coolmom42
03-26-2022, 10:43 PM
What are you doing for work?

Anarchy
03-27-2022, 06:19 PM
You're just out there building that dividend paying stock portfolio baby!

Of course haha.

Anarchy
03-27-2022, 06:25 PM
What are you doing for work?

I work in the Blue Cross Building in downtown Chicago. I deal with the mail that comes in. I also answer the phones and put data in the system and do spreadsheets. I've been with my current company for almost two years. The cool perk I get free insurance since I work in the building.

coolmom42
03-27-2022, 11:03 PM
I work in the Blue Cross Building in downtown Chicago. I deal with the mail that comes in. I also answer the phones and put data in the system and do spreadsheets. I've been with my current company for almost two years. The cool perk I get free insurance since I work in the building.

That sounds interesting... and wow the free insurance! What a perk!

polly-anna
03-28-2022, 07:31 AM
and wow the free insurance! What a perk!

i agree! my marketplace insurance is $1200 a month for just me.

polly-anna
04-22-2022, 03:41 PM
just wondering where we are on funding. Are we set for a while or do we need a bigger FFEF? :D

cwilli26
04-22-2022, 04:02 PM
Pretty sure we're good for several months, but I can't recall if GertieMcFuzz posted a final tally.

wintersong
03-26-2023, 08:27 AM
Hey, Mods! How are we doing for money in 2023? Even though Zelle was challenging for me in 2022, I'm up to trying again for 2023.

Do we need money? Working on the April budget...

cwilli26
03-26-2023, 08:54 AM
Hey, Mods! How are we doing for money in 2023? Even though Zelle was challenging for me in 2022, I'm up to trying again for 2023.

Do we need money? Working on the April budget...

I think we're good, but I've put the question to our Treasurer and one of us will let you know.

Thanks for asking!