PDA

View Full Version : these new faces! where are they coming from?

polly-anna
07-28-2023, 06:22 AM
all of a sudden...i've seen two, maybe three, new folks here. How exciting!

Any idea how they found us??

cwilli26
07-28-2023, 06:52 AM
Nope, but new blood is great!

coolmom42
07-28-2023, 12:00 PM
Possibly off the FB page? Or google? Or disheartened DR followers looking for an alternative?

stressedmess
07-28-2023, 01:26 PM
I read someone post about referring a friend, so that would be my guess.

cwilli26
07-28-2023, 02:31 PM
I've approved early posts from 3 different individuals today alone. Unusual for sure. You can always ask how they heard about us.

starchyk
07-28-2023, 02:31 PM
There is another similar website that is shutting down. DR based, but not associated with DR. Used to be a very active place for folks getting out of debt, I got great support there over the years. So there is a thread asking - where are you all going? I want to see so and so pay of their mortgage! Etc. And this forum was mentioned as place to land, so you may see more of us landing here.

BTW, I should introduce myself: I am 43F, living in Toronto with my awesome BF, D. I started my debt free journey back in 2008 when I had way, way too much law school debt, and not enough income. I back slid at one point and started a small law firm, which I left a few years later with business debts. I finally got it all together and now I work for the federal government. I am debt free since 2018. In 2020, I decided to invite D to stay with me until the pandemic blew over, so he could avoid transit and walk to work. That worked out so great that he stayed, lol. My current goal is saving up a down payment on a condo. My challenge is the insane real estate market.

sandrark
07-28-2023, 08:28 PM
Welcome, starchyk - we're glad to have you. ;)

KVinKC
07-29-2023, 08:09 AM
I went out and joined the other website and put a post out there welcoming the member to come here. Now to get the email verification process working for them. Any update coolmom42?

delilahdr
07-29-2023, 08:54 AM
There is another similar website that is shutting down. DR based, but not associated with DR. Used to be a very active place for folks getting out of debt, I got great support there over the years. So there is a thread asking - where are you all going? I want to see so and so pay of their mortgage! Etc. And this forum was mentioned as place to land, so you may see more of us landing here.

BTW, I should introduce myself: I am 43F, living in Toronto with my awesome BF, D. I started my debt free journey back in 2008 when I had way, way too much law school debt, and not enough income. I back slid at one point and started a small law firm, which I left a few years later with business debts. I finally got it all together and now I work for the federal government. I am debt free since 2018. In 2020, I decided to invite D to stay with me until the pandemic blew over, so he could avoid transit and walk to work. That worked out so great that he stayed, lol. My current goal is saving up a down payment on a condo. My challenge is the insane real estate market.

Yay! starchyk So glad you came over here too, I have to see when you finally find THE condo! (Yes, I came from there also. I think... Dorothy maybe? mentioned DFF? Someone did.)

coolmom42
07-30-2023, 10:52 PM
I went out and joined the other website and put a post out there welcoming the member to come here. Now to get the email verification process working for them. Any update @coolmom42 (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=2137)?

I opened the ticket and got the normal response, "we are doing things right and we dont' know what could be wrong." Can I express how unhappy I am with this site host?

Their only suggestion is to change the wording of the email. Which I have no idea how to do, or where to do, and can't see how to change it from the admin page.

I went into the admin section, and then to users, and found myself as a user, and tried to send email to me. It should be showing up as from "babystep@debtfreefanatics.com" . Nothing came through to my gmail, after multiple attempts, not even in the spam folder.

Kim... since you have made an account on the other site that is closing down, can you suggest that people reach out to us on this site, and post on the Visitor Forum and Tech Support (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/forums/69-Visitors-Corner-and-Forum-Information-(Also-tech-support))section. Any admin can add them as members here manually. They will need to be added to the "probationary users" group. After that, they will have to provide some additional info.

I have in the past added you to the host site as a contact, but it disappeared. UGH. I will do it again. I need a mailing address and phone number to do that. Can you PM that to me? or send it to my gmail.

KVinKC
07-31-2023, 07:27 AM
I opened the ticket and got the normal response, "we are doing things right and we dont' know what could be wrong." Can I express how unhappy I am with this site host?

Their only suggestion is to change the wording of the email. Which I have no idea how to do, or where to do, and can't see how to change it from the admin page.

I went into the admin section, and then to users, and found myself as a user, and tried to send email to me. It should be showing up as from "babystep@debtfreefanatics.com" . Nothing came through to my gmail, after multiple attempts, not even in the spam folder.

Kim... since you have made an account on the other site that is closing down, can you suggest that people reach out to us on this site, and post on the Visitor Forum and Tech Support (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/forums/69-Visitors-Corner-and-Forum-Information-(Also-tech-support))section. Any admin can add them as members here manually. They will need to be added to the "probationary users" group. After that, they will have to provide some additional info.

I have in the past added you to the host site as a contact, but it disappeared. UGH. I will do it again. I need a mailing address and phone number to do that. Can you PM that to me? or send it to my gmail.

PM sent. The users on the other site says it seems to be related to gmail accounts. Makes me wonder if Vettedrmr account that he can no longer get emails to is gmail as well. You might add that to the ticket. I will go out to the other site and do as you suggest.

wintersong
07-31-2023, 08:01 AM
Can we pay Grebo or Lex to help us out with this? It's really nice to have some new people and I would hate for our tech issues to prevent LLNOE people from joining us. I'll donate to their fee. It sounds like we need expertise.

cwilli26
07-31-2023, 09:49 AM
KVinKC and coolmom42 - we are seeing quite a bit of posts needing approval from the new folks. I check pretty regularly throughout my workday, but just want to remind y'all to be on the lookout.

KVinKC
07-31-2023, 09:52 AM
@KVinKC (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=2186) and @coolmom42 (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=2137) - we are seeing quite a bit of posts needing approval from the new folks. I check pretty regularly throughout my workday, but just want to remind y'all to be on the lookout.

We need to do more than approve, we need to go out and manually add them as users. I told them on the other site I am adding dff to the end of their user name to use as their password to get in.

cwilli26
07-31-2023, 10:14 AM
We need to do more than approve, we need to go out and manually add them as users. I told them on the other site I am adding dff to the end of their user name to use as their password to get in.

Okay. I'm not sure how to do that. If you need my help doing that, please email me instructions and I'll jump in as able.

KVinKC
07-31-2023, 10:28 AM
Okay. I'm not sure how to do that. If you need my help doing that, please email me instructions and I'll jump in as able.

I am not 100% sure I did it right. I just went to the User's tab and hit add user. I put in the user name they requested and the password of their user name with dff on the end. coolmom42, do you know for sure?

mortazaar
07-31-2023, 01:28 PM
I made it! Looking forward to a new home to track my financial journey. Thanks to KVinKC for getting me registered. Glad to see some familiar faces. I was sad to see that LLNOE was shutting down, but looking forward to seeing what all DFF has to offer.

cwilli26
07-31-2023, 02:02 PM
I made it! Looking forward to a new home to track my financial journey. Thanks to KVinKC for getting me registered. Glad to see some familiar faces. I was sad to see that LLNOE was shutting down, but looking forward to seeing what all DFF has to offer.

Welcome aboard the crazy train! :)

wintersong
07-31-2023, 02:25 PM

We are really happy to have you and the others from LLNOE join us. So sorry that you had to shut down your site however. It's really hard when you have to leave home. Would encourage you to post an introduction to help us get to know you...you'll get to know us soon enough.

KVinKC
07-31-2023, 02:27 PM

Oh yay! So glad to see you out here. Make sure to play around and change your password. I don't want to know it anymore!

coolmom42
07-31-2023, 07:36 PM
I am not 100% sure I did it right. I just went to the User's tab and hit add user. I put in the user name they requested and the password of their user name with dff on the end. @coolmom42 (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=2137), do you know for sure?
That will work. They can change the password if they want. That's a good way to handle it. Ignore my other post about it.