PDA

View Full Version : Issues with signing up for the forum

starchyk
07-28-2023, 04:39 PM
I think there may be new members trying to join but unable to get the verification codes in their email. I couldn't join using my gmail account, and eventually used my work email (which I hate using for anything personal.) There is a similar site, livinglikenooneelse.com that is shutting down and some long time members were talking about joining here, which is how I found this site. Anyway, I couldn't get a verification code at my gmail account, and some others posted they were having the same problem, and the site owner posted this:

"I checked debtfreefanatics.com DNS Records. Gmail, Yahoo Email, AOL, Hotmail (Outlook.com), and others if a domain name like debtfreefanatics.com doesn't have a proper SPF TXT Record then those email services will block the sender.

Looking at their MX Record, they have 6 entries, and 5 entries is the limit. Plus while they are using IP Address, they do not have the domain of the sending email service. Which might explain why some get the email and others are not.

If anyone knows who owns the site, it would be helpful to fix that.

Now you know why, might not know what it means, but you know why. :)"

Its gobbledegook to me, but if the Mods here know what it means it might be something to look into? There are others trying to join and unable.

cwilli26
07-28-2023, 04:51 PM
starchyk: thank you for this post. I am tagging the two other admins KVinKC & coolmom42 in hopes we can figure out the issue.

I am not familiar with this other group that is closing down, but we happily accept refugees here seeing how we were all refugees from the original DR forums.

All that is gobbledegook to me as well, but I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :)

It does explain the influx of new members as of late, so again thank you for posting this.

coolmom42
07-28-2023, 05:34 PM
starchyk What site owner gave you this information? I need to put it in a ticket for the host.

starchyk
07-28-2023, 07:12 PM
Roy at livinglikenooneelse.com. The thread is linked here: https://www.livinglikenooneelse.com/index.php?/forums/topic/11964-sad-to-say-llnoe-will-be-shut-down-on-august-14-2023/&do=findComment&comment=206650

Dorothy
07-28-2023, 07:29 PM
Roy at livinglikenooneelse.com. The thread is linked here: https://www.livinglikenooneelse.com/index.php?/forums/topic/11964-sad-to-say-llnoe-will-be-shut-down-on-august-14-2023/&do=findComment&comment=206650
I couldn't see the post, but . . . I think I might have been part of this group at one time. Can you see if Roy is the Roy that lives near Houston? If so, I've met him in person and tell him I said hi!! He should come over here :)

KVinKC
07-28-2023, 07:34 PM
Thank you @starchyk (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=4857). Will you also let your members at the other site know that their posts will go to a moderation queue for the first few entries until we can identify them as a legitimate user instead of a bot or spam. coolmom42, please let Chuck and I know what ticket number you get from webfusion. They still don't see me as a legitimate site owner so I have to leave it up to you. Thanks.

SueandTom
07-28-2023, 07:55 PM
Welcome starchyk! Is it okay to ask the story behind your username?

KVinKC
07-28-2023, 07:58 PM
I joined the group linked above and put out a post welcoming members to our site and letting them know we are experiencing some technical issues that we are working on.

starchyk
07-29-2023, 07:51 AM
Welcome starchyk! Is it okay to ask the story behind your username?

NO real story, just something slightly dumb I came up with when I was around 17 - and just kept using. :idunno:

starchyk
07-29-2023, 07:53 AM
I couldn't see the post, but . . . I think I might have been part of this group at one time. Can you see if Roy is the Roy that lives near Houston? If so, I've met him in person and tell him I said hi!! He should come over here :)

I think it is the same Roy. If you are the Dorothy who was active on LLNOE, its nice to see you again! (Nice to meet you if not)

fourteeners
07-29-2023, 11:52 AM
I think it is the same Roy. If you are the Dorothy who was active on LLNOE, its nice to see you again! (Nice to meet you if not)

I think it is time for a chorus of "It's a Small World" after all!

Dorothy
07-29-2023, 12:57 PM

It is me :) - not sure why I am no longer on LLNOE unless it died????

Katiebug
07-29-2023, 04:39 PM
I used to post on LLNOE, too, but it’s been a long time since I was there.

Dorothy
07-29-2023, 06:19 PM
I can't imagine why I left . . .

starchyk
07-30-2023, 08:42 AM
LLNOE isn't gone yet, but it will be in August. :crying:

KVinKC
07-31-2023, 07:36 AM
We have added a post in LLNOE that members can join us by going to the Visitor's Corner, making a visitor post stating they are from LLNOE and we can manually add them. MODS, be on the lookout for these folks.

cwilli26
07-31-2023, 09:49 AM
On it!