PDA

View Full Version : "New Posts" feature

cwilli26
08-24-2023, 04:36 AM
I've recently been receiving an error message when clicking the new posts feature from my phone telling me to narrow my search criteria? No issue with the feature from my laptop. Anyone else?

wintersong
08-24-2023, 07:17 AM
Sorry, I access via laptop

Dorothy
08-24-2023, 12:17 PM
I use "new posts" almost exclusively every time I come here. I can't remember if we have an "app" but I access via chrome browser on my phone. I clicked somewhere / somehow to make it more like my laptop view? In any case, I just checked and "new posts" works as well as it always has on my android phone.

rolo4evr
08-24-2023, 12:19 PM
Yup. I noticed it starting about 3-4 weeks ago. I can no longer access just new posts when using my phone. But, I almost always am on my laptop so it hasn't been a problem.

Brendenny
08-24-2023, 02:39 PM
I have never been able to access "new posts" on my phone except when I'm using the "view full site" view. Not in the mobile view.

Dorothy
08-24-2023, 04:16 PM
I have never been able to access "new posts" on my phone except when I'm using the "view full site" view. Not in the mobile view.

I bet that I am using "view full site"

1Maryann
10-02-2023, 02:26 PM
I only access this forum on my laptop. Just now I clicked "new posts" and it only showed me 5 entries and says it's page 1 of 20. When I clicked to page 2, it says "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

wintersong
10-02-2023, 03:36 PM
But isn't it supposed to do that? There were only 5 unread entries. Page 2 should be blank. When you read the 5 unread ones, page one will be blank too (well, it will have a message).
I use my laptop to read DFF and almost always use the New Posts feature to access the posts.
It really helped me when I learned that clicking over to Forum would make the posts I'd read disappear from the New Post screen as opposed to simply no longer being highlighted on the New Posts screen.
And it was so helpful when CWilli pointed out that the Mark Forums Read button would likewise make the unread posts disappear when I clicked the Mark Forums Read button. Those unread posts were then gone from the New Posts thing.

stressedmess
10-02-2023, 04:00 PM
I’m getting a handful of posts under “New Posts” rather than a full page of topics. That happened today. I don’t access on my phone, just my iPad.

Donna98
10-02-2023, 04:17 PM
I’m getting a handful of posts under “New Posts” rather than a full page of topics. That happened today. I don’t access on my phone, just my iPad.

Same thing is happening to me on my iPad.

wintersong
10-02-2023, 08:02 PM
But doesn't that just mean that there weren't a lot of posts?

stressedmess
10-02-2023, 08:25 PM

Well, that’s what I assumed until I saw this thread. It sure would save a lot of time if it is accurately just showing posts with new entries since my last viewing.

wintersong
10-02-2023, 08:33 PM
Well, that’s what I assumed until I saw this thread. It sure would save a lot of time if it is accurately just showing posts with new entries since my last viewing.

I guess that would be easy enough to check. Look at (and count) the New Posts but don't click on any. Go back to Forums and look under each category. If there are 5 under New Posts but multiple bolded items in each of the categories, then we know there is a problem.

sandrark
10-02-2023, 08:37 PM
Nope, it's a problem.

When I click on New Posts, it only gives me 5 threads, and only those posted since 6:01 PM PST.

SueandTom
10-02-2023, 09:01 PM
Nope, it's a problem.

When I click on New Posts, it only gives me 5 threads, and only those posted since 6:01 PM PST.

I'm getting that problem now, too.

1Maryann
10-02-2023, 10:13 PM
No, anything you haven't read stays there. I usually have pages of threads I don't read.

wintersong
10-02-2023, 10:27 PM
At 10pm Central, there are 7 unread posts listed under "New Posts."

Looking at each of the forums, The unread Posts are:
1 in the Emergency Prep on CoVid
1 in Fitness
1 in Visitor (this thread)
1 in General (by CBent)
and 3 in Frugal

So 7 items are highlighted when I go to the specific forum, and 7 when I go to New Posts.

I do use Chuck's technique of clicking on the Mark Forums Read button when there are things I don't want to read (after opening up the ones I do want to read) so I don't end up with pages of unread things. I guess that means it is working right for me but wrong for some of the others of you?

Just to clarify, there were 7 unread posts since the last time I had looked which was maybe 30-60 minutes earlier. For those of you who hadn't looked all day, there definitely should have been more than 7 posts!

1Maryann
10-03-2023, 07:31 AM
It's not always things I don't want to read, a lot of times it's things I didn't have time to read. Then next time I log in they have fallen below the line of "threads not updated since last visit but still contain unread threads". If I use "Mark all forums read" I lose those.

wintersong
10-03-2023, 08:37 AM
That's very true. You do lose all of them.
But you're saying that the threads under the "not updated" line have disappeared for you even though you didn't read them and you didn't mark them as read? Odd. When you go to the specific forum, are the unread ones still there in bolded form?

stressedmess
10-03-2023, 09:01 AM
My New Post page looks back to normal this morning…

sandrark
10-03-2023, 09:43 AM
My New Post page looks back to normal this morning…

Mine too - more than a page of New Posts, which is normal for me. (I click Mark All Posts Read befoe each logoff, so I truly do only have new threads pop up).

ETA: So, it looked back to normal, but only allowed me to see Page 1 of New Posts. When I clicked Page 2, I got the "Posts not found" screen. So now I am going through forum by forum...

Quirkz
10-03-2023, 10:21 AM
Similar story here. I use new posts regularly (from a desktop). Normally it has pages and pages. The other day it only had a couple, and I just assumed I'd accidentally pressed the "mark all as read" button. But I don't think I did, and it hit many of you, too. Maybe there's a back-end tool that does the same thing for everyone. Now I see multiple pages again according to the navigation in the bottom-right (4 pages) but clicking next to page 2 throws that error, nothing could be found. Page 1 links all work.

financial_mom
10-03-2023, 11:22 AM
I'm seeing some glitches with "New Posts" from my laptop. It will say there are "x" posts (not that many which is weird) but then I'll see an obviously new and unread post that "New Posts" didn't display. This just started.

cwilli26
10-03-2023, 04:46 PM
My new posts stopped working on my phone a few weeks ago.

But today there were something like 3500+ pieces of new post spam. Not sure if coolmom42 or KVinKC did something to get them all deleted. I started in on it, but I just got too busy at work.

1Maryann
10-03-2023, 07:25 PM
Mine is back to normal.

KVinKC
10-04-2023, 11:00 AM
I cleaned it up.