PDA

View Full Version : Become a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics

EvilGreebo
01-05-2016, 12:13 PM
What is a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics?

Friends of Debt Free Fanatics are members who have helped support our operation by making a donation to our operating fund.

What's it take to become a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics?

For as little as $10 you will be flagged as a "Friend of DFF" for 3 months. One time, quarterly, and annual donation options arealso available, in amounts of $10, $20, $50, and $100.

What do I get for being a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics?

Friends of Debt Free Fanatics get the following perks:

- The ability to display their love for Debt Free Fanatics in the form of a custom user title under their avatar

- Access to the Friends of DFF private sub forum, where you and your fellow DFF Friends can feel smug together!

- Access to new features as well as improved functions and higher limits on their use of the site
- - Increased limit on Private Messages (9,999 vs. 1,000) (for the really really spammy)
- - Ability to send PM to 50 users at once (instead of 5)
- - Automatic thread refreshing never expires (5 minute limit is the norm)

- And of course, a sense of contributing to the community!

How do I donate?

Go to the Paid Subscriptions (http://www.debtfreefanatics.com/payments.php) page and follow the instructions.

All payments go through PayPal but you do not need a PayPal account unless you want to schedule a recurring payment.

If you schedule a recurring payment and later wish to cancel ,you must do this through PayPal's managed subscriptions section. DFF cannot cancel your payment for you.
Ok, I donated. What do I get for it?
Contributors will be able to choose to be identified as a "Friend of DFF" on the Permission Groups (http://www.debtfreefanatics.com/profile.php?do=editusergroups) screen in their settings. You will have the option to be identified as your usual title (based on post count) or as a "Friend of DFF". (Sorry, at this time you can't show both.)

What does it cost to run Debt Free Fanatics?

Our costs have gone up some since the last time I posted this information, but not by much. Our main expense, the website itself, is now roughly $50/month. Other expenses are annual and average around $15/month. So we don't need a LOT of people to help chip in, really, we don't!

Our annual expense list includes Domain Name Registration, SSL certification (for security), and registration on Google Play and the Apple Store to publish our mobile apps.

We also occasionally experience one time costs for enhancements to the system, such as buying the donation system itself. Wherever possible, we try to buy lifetime support options, because long term those are the most cost effective.

What do you do with the extra money?

Our goal is to have at least a years worth of operating expenses in reserve, all the time.
Money in excess of the reserve may be used to buy enhancements to DFF.

What if I can't (or just don't want to) become a Friend of DFF?

Nothing. All the access you have today, you'll keep. Anything new, you won't get. Our worst case scenario is that one day we run out of money and have to downgrade to a cheaper plan which won't let us run at the capacity level you all are used to. (Think "Service Limit Exceeded" messages from our former web service provider...)

How can I see the status of the funds?

Our treasurer, GertieMcFuzz the professional accountant, will publish a quarterly summary of income and outgo. This will be accessible to all members.

cwilli26
01-05-2016, 12:15 PM
:evilgreebo:

Dorothy
01-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Given the low operating costs and the nice cushion, have you considered allowing those in BS1 and BS2 to become friends at a discount? Maybe $5 for 3 months or $20 for the year?

EvilGreebo
01-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Given the low operating costs and the nice cushion, have you considered allowing those in BS1 and BS2 to become friends at a discount? Maybe $5 for 3 months or $20 for the year?
Well, there's not really a way I would be able to be sure that they're in BS1 or BS2, but that's not why I'm against this.

I'm against this because if you're in BS1 or BS2, you don't need to be sending us money, you need to be getting the hell out of debt.

So --- no. Get out of debt, get your finances in order, then you can pay it forward later. :D

DMMizu
03-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Well, there's not really a way I would be able to be sure that they're in BS1 or BS2, but that's not why I'm against this.

I'm against this because if you're in BS1 or BS2, you don't need to be sending us money, you need to be getting the hell out of debt.

So --- no. Get out of debt, get your finances in order, then you can pay it forward later. :D

When you guys first started this site I offered to send some funds. I think someone told me you guys had plenty of funds and not to worry about it. I just found this link recently. Makes me feel good to support this site as it's helped me a ton!

Thanks for all the work you guys do! It's really appreciated. You have no idea!

wintersong
12-26-2019, 10:30 PM
lexnaturalis
Working on my 2020 budget. How are we (DFF) doing for funds?

lexnaturalis
12-27-2019, 09:58 AM
@lexnaturalis (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=2266)
Working on my 2020 budget. How are we (DFF) doing for funds?
I'll try to find time in the next day or so to put together a breakdown. Thanks for asking!

dmcknight
12-27-2019, 11:07 AM
I'll try to find time in the next day or so to put together a breakdown. Thanks for asking!

I'm in! It's our month of extra giving so let us know.

Thomas.
12-27-2019, 04:20 PM
What are the added benefits of paid membership?

cwilli26
12-27-2019, 05:12 PM
What are the added benefits of paid membership?

What do I get for being a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics?

Friends of Debt Free Fanatics get the following perks:

- The ability to display their love for Debt Free Fanatics in the form of a custom user title under their avatar

- Access to the Friends of DFF private sub forum, where you and your fellow DFF Friends can feel smug together!

- Access to new features as well as improved functions and higher limits on their use of the site
- - Increased limit on Private Messages (9,999 vs. 1,000) (for the really really spammy)
- - Ability to send PM to 50 users at once (instead of 5)
- - Automatic thread refreshing never expires (5 minute limit is the norm)

- Any new features Greebo/Lex add - which will get updated here as they are implemented

- And of course, a sense of self-satisfaction that you've helped DFF and an air of smug superiority to silently lord over those people who aren't Friends of DFF

None of these things really turned out to be a benefit quite honestly, but I donate just to make sure the forums continue because I like what goes on here for the most part.

Thomas.
12-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Thanks Chuck :)

KVinKC
12-27-2019, 06:15 PM
I would be happy to make a donation as well.

1Maryann
12-27-2019, 09:09 PM
I'm in. Last time I was late and they'd already stopped accepting money because we more than enough donations. This time I want to be at the front of the line.

fourteeners
12-28-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm in. Last time I was late and they'd already stopped accepting money because we more than enough donations. This time I want to be at the front of the line.

Me, too.

lexnaturalis
12-29-2019, 10:20 AM
I'll be working up a more formal post later, but here are the rough details:

We currently have $217.60 cash on hand.

Our monthly expenses are ~$49.99/mo. Some months are more because of various annual fees. So we have about 4 months of operating cash right now.

We'll open up donations soon, I think, I just need to handle some logistics stuff.

textev
12-29-2019, 12:20 PM
None of these things really turned out to be a benefit quite honestly, but I donate just to make sure the forums continue because I like what goes on here for the most part.

I like most of what goes on here too, not all of course. But it would make me nervous if I were on a site where I liked everything. (Well, unless it were strictly dedicated to chocolate.) ;)

Our monthly expenses are ~$49.99/mo. Some months are more because of various annual fees. So we have about 4 months of operating cash right now.
We'll open up donations soon, I think, I just need to handle some logistics stuff.

Lex, thanks for the numbers. (I like numbers.) But in this case, I don't know the implication of the numbers.

It does seem to me that maintaining a year of expenses all the time would be the most secure and allow for the most flexibility on the part of Greebo and/or those who are helping keep the operation going. If there were always a year of expenses in the bank/on the books that covers about 12 months of regular expenses, or, for example, equipment or software upgrades plus less than 12 months of expenses (at which point - let us know so we can replenish!) But I wouldn't object to a year of expenses at all times plus a reserve for equipment or software upgrades. At least that's my input FWIW.

Anyway - let us know.

Thomas.
12-29-2019, 01:55 PM
I just stumped up for a year’s membership, so there is another month paid for :)

rolo4evr
12-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Link for donation? Reading more thoroughly is good. LOL

1Maryann
12-29-2019, 04:56 PM
I just stumped up for a year’s membership, so there is another month paid for :)
Ditto

textev
12-29-2019, 05:49 PM
From Greebo's 1/25/16 post:

What does it cost to run Debt Free Fanatics?

Our costs have gone up some since the last time I posted this information, but not by much. Our main expense, the website itself, is now roughly $50/month. Other expenses are annual and average around $15/month. So we don't need a LOT of people to help chip in, really, we don't!

Our annual expense list includes Domain Name Registration, SSL certification (for security), and registration on Google Play and the Apple Store to publish our mobile apps.

We also occasionally experience one time costs for enhancements to the system, such as buying the donation system itself. Wherever possible, I try to buy lifetime support options, because long term those are the most cost effective.

What do you do with the extra money?

My goal is to have at least a years worth of operating expenses in reserve, all the time. You all have made that an easy objective to hit, since right now we have about $1,700 sitting in DFF's bank account. (I TOLD you we don't need a lot of help!)

Aha! I must have been remembering Greebo's goal for at least a year's worth of operating expenses in reserve all the time. Looks like we're down way below that.

ETA: I just sent a donation for a year. Since I don't do recurring withdrawals I do need a reminder when it is time again. Also, I don't see an option to send a larger donation.

ETA #2: (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2%3A) I re-read Greebo's original post and see that as of 1/25/16 (about 4 years ago) the monthly cost to run the site was around $50.00 and there were additional annual costs averaging $15 a month (so the additional annual costs as of then were about $15 x 12 = $180.)

So the monthly cost to run the site as of 1/25/16 was about $50 plus about $15 = $65 a month. Which is about $65 x 12 = $780.

I would be surprised if the cost hasn't increased.
lexnaturalis if you are using 1/25/16 monthly cost figures and are not accounting for additional annual costs, and if there are any increase in operating costs since 4 years ago, the $50 monthly number is low. I think there should be a running balance in the account of at least a year's expenses. As of now we are running a deficit compared to what Greebo was saying 4 years ago would be optimal to have in the account.

I think we need to raise funds to the point that we bring up the balance to at least the total annual expense and that we generate enough from donations to keep the balance at that amount.

If the donations aren't coming in from monthly scheduled contributions then people like me (very willing to contribute regularly, but don't do automatic withdrawals from my account) - need to contribute regularly, maybe quarterly. But I don't typically know what we need and when.

In any case, it looks like the balance is well below optimal.

Dorothy
12-29-2019, 08:16 PM
Paid a year's worth also :)

rolo4evr
12-30-2019, 09:14 AM
And, I'm in for $50. Thanks for keeping the forum going! :)

cjdj
12-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Any new features Greebo/Lex add - which will get updated here as they are implemented.

Speaking of Greebo, what ever became of him?

textev
12-30-2019, 11:19 AM

Speaking of Greebo, what ever became of him?

I miss Greebo. I think a while back after he moved he was really busy and let us know he was going to post less (or maybe stop posting?) for a while.

I hope he and the Mrs. and the rest of the family including those beautiful doggies are doing well.

cwilli26
12-30-2019, 11:21 AM
I'm FB friends with @Greebo and he'll occasionally "like" or even comment on a post of mine. He did so as recently has last week, so it appears he is doing well overall I suppose.

Brendenny
12-31-2019, 05:55 PM
In for $50. I'm very thankful for this forum. Actually, the more I hang out on Facebook, the more thankful I am for this forum!!!

KVinKC
12-31-2019, 08:49 PM
Paid a year's worth also :)

How? I don't see a link yet except for the one in the original post. Are we supposed to use that link? I went ahead and did an annual donation via that link.

Dorothy
12-31-2019, 10:18 PM
How? I don't see a link yet except for the one in the original post. Are we supposed to use that link? I went ahead and did an annual donation via that link.

I thought exactly the same thing when I read about the first person who did $50 this week. Then I went back to the original post and did that - just like you did.

textev
01-01-2020, 09:34 AM
That's what I did.

I remain concerned about whether there is enough money in reserve.

wintersong
01-01-2020, 02:03 PM

Notice how no one paid attention to you? They just started giving.
Thanks for all you do, Lex. (And the other mods, and of course Greebo, the MIA.)

DFF means a lot to me. Happy New Year to all of us.

cwilli26
01-02-2020, 11:23 AM
I'm in for $50 as well, but I want to make sure that link is what we need to be using. Any update EvilGreebo or lexnaturalis?

fourteeners
01-03-2020, 03:18 PM
The link in the first post worked for me, and I just got confirmation from PayPal.

cwilli26
01-03-2020, 05:41 PM
The link in the first post worked for me, and I just got confirmation from PayPal.

I think that is EvilGreebo's PayPal though, right? I'm wondering if that's still where it needs to go or if lexnaturalis has taken over financial duties for the forum.

Dorothy
01-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Somebody has lots of money now :)

lexnaturalis
01-03-2020, 07:33 PM
I think that is @EvilGreebo (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=1)'s PayPal though, right? I'm wondering if that's still where it needs to go or if @lexnaturalis (https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/member.php?u=2266) has taken over financial duties for the forum.
Yes, it's still currently going through his PayPal account, which flows into the account that all the bills come out of. I'm actually going to be taking over financial duties and will probably recruit a second person to act as a check and balance. The exact details to follow.

For now, I can confirm the link works and the money is going to the right place.

KVinKC
01-03-2020, 07:36 PM
When you do take it over Lex, it would be nice for it allow a "write in" amount. The current options are pretty limited.

lexnaturalis
01-03-2020, 08:21 PM
When you do take it over Lex, it would be nice for it allow a "write in" amount. The current options are pretty limited.
We're planning on actually switching over to a new forum software soon(ish) so when that happens I'll probably start working on a punch list of items. That's definitely a good one to add.

dmcknight
01-03-2020, 11:45 PM
In for $50. Thanks to all the admins, for all you do.

lumberjack2001
01-20-2020, 11:51 PM
In for $50 as well! Thank you for all that you do!

samkidsmom
01-24-2020, 09:14 AM
I have been on the quarterly auto subscription plan since FDFF started and have some extra money sitting in my coffee jar that I would be willing to donate to help increase the account balance. If I do it as a one time donation, it won't stop my quarterly automatic donation, will it?

lexnaturalis
01-29-2020, 06:43 PM
I have been on the quarterly auto subscription plan since FDFF started and have some extra money sitting in my coffee jar that I would be willing to donate to help increase the account balance. If I do it as a one time donation, it won't stop my quarterly automatic donation, will it?
It shouldn't. It should just set up a separate one-time donation.

Funatthebeach
01-30-2020, 03:58 PM
I go back to work next week so I will add you to the budget for after the paychecks start rolling in.

polywednesday
10-31-2022, 06:26 PM
Is the donation info still the same? I wanted to set up a recurring charge to the email I've been using, but thought I'd double check first since this thread is 2+ years old.