User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can the "front" page be the forums instead of the articles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

can the "front" page be the forums instead of the articles?

Every time I come here, I get the articles first. They're not particularly active, and I think most of us come for the forums. Seems like they ought to be the default home page. Can that be changed? Or is it a setting I just haven't noticed yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    You can simply go to the Forums page, then save it to your bookmarks. Delete your old bookmark. Voila!
    Save $6.00 on the awesome budgeting software YNAB

Try Plan to Eat meal planning software. You can import recipes, type in your own, grab recipes from your friends, and it will populate a shopping list for you based on the recipes you plan to use.

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an experience.

You can either live in the past, or look towards the future. You cannot simultaneously do both with success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not using bookmarks, and I end up accessing the site from a bunch of different computers/devices. I'm using www.debtfreefantics.com, which defaults to the articles directory instead of the forums, but I'm not sure why.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirkz View Post
    I'm not sure why.
    Because Greebo wants it that way!

No, really.

Gazelles for the win
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Actually it makes sense for it to be the articles - I think. Can visitors see the articles? If so, then we want visitors to be able to see some content. Those of us who are already here can bookmark the forums or do the extra click to get to the forums when we come here.
    Mortgage paid off Feb 12, 2010 BS 7a - kitchen remodel completed - 2011 BS 7b - my bathroom remodel and max out sinking funds ($13.5K) - 2012 BS 7c - min car repl fund $13K - 2013 My goal was to retire in Jan 2016 at age 58, but instead I retired 10/24/2014

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I believe that is indeed the reason.

Visitors can only see one active forum, which isn't much of a welcome. Presenting the curious visitor with several articles sends a good message that we're serious about what we do here.

Likes to push her luck too much. SueandTom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    And we are serious!
    BS7: July 31, 2014

website for my art: http://TheArtOfSurprise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirkz View Post
    I'm not using bookmarks, and I end up accessing the site from a bunch of different computers/devices. I'm using www.debtfreefantics.com, which defaults to the articles directory instead of the forums, but I'm not sure why.
    Okay, gotcha.
    Save $6.00 on the awesome budgeting software YNAB

Try Plan to Eat meal planning software. You can import recipes, type in your own, grab recipes from your friends, and it will populate a shopping list for you based on the recipes you plan to use.

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an experience.

You can either live in the past, or look towards the future. You cannot simultaneously do both with success.

Abuses authoritah with reckless abandon. EvilGreebo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Flatly, no, and there will be no change on that front.

This is what the home page looks like to newcomers.
    newcomer.jpg

And this is what it looks like if the forum would be the home page
    newcomer2.jpg

The articles may not be super active but they are there to draw people to the site, give them basic info, and then encourage them to sign up for the forums, so they need to stay out front.

But hey man, I hear you. I deal with the same annoyance of having to click that one extra click every time I come here, cause I haven't been bothered to set up book marks to the forum section either. It's super painful, I know, but it's the price we pay to be welcoming.
    If you're having trouble logging in or any other tech support issues, or if you have a question about the software, please post them in the Visitor's Corner.
    If you need to reach me about something more private, please contact me via private message.

Reaching out to me privately may not result in a quick response. Posting in the Visitor's Corner ensures other staff members will see your post as well and may be able to help you more quickly.

Also, as far as I know, none of the staff here are psychics, so if you are reporting an issue, and want help, then please take the time to be as detailed as possible. The more effort you put into describing the problem, the more we'll put into solving it.

10. Likes Mama2Liv liked this post
    Spreading the word midnight0300's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first thought the same thing but I honestly agree that the articles are best. I have sent people here for the articles and they kept coming back because they were so good. For me, I probably wouldn't even look at the article if it weren't right there each time I open up the site. Since I use forums all the time, I seem to forget about the other good stuff. I just had to give it time to grow on me and keep an open mind. I also had to remember that it was for the greater good for all.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson