User Tag List

Thread: The least effective method to getting a moderator to notice a problem thread...

Abuses authoritah with reckless abandon. EvilGreebo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The least effective method to getting a moderator to notice a problem thread...

... is to send a PM to an admin.

Folks - if you need to bring a thread to our attention, every single post has an icon that looks like an exclamation mark in a triangle.

CLICK THAT, please. Fill out a thread report.

When you do that, it sends an email to every moderator on the site (me included). It gives us links DIRECTLY to the post in question, so we can find it easily, and it means we don't have to stumble around blind trying to figure out what the heck the problem is. It also creates a group thread for us mods/admins in our staff area so we can decide upon a course of action.

By contrast, when you send a PM (worse if you only send it to one of us) then odds are you're not giving us enough information and quite probably won't even get noticed if that person (or people) don't happen to be online that minue.

So please - PMs are not the right way to report issues - use the forum tools you have.
    If you're having trouble logging in or any other tech support issues, or if you have a question about the software, please post them in the Visitor's Corner.
    If you need to reach me about something more private, please contact me via private message.

Reaching out to me privately may not result in a quick response. Posting in the Visitor's Corner ensures other staff members will see your post as well and may be able to help you more quickly.

Also, as far as I know, none of the staff here are psychics, so if you are reporting an issue, and want help, then please take the time to be as detailed as possible. The more effort you put into describing the problem, the more we'll put into solving it.

2. Thanks coolmom42 thanked for this post
    Likes stressedmess, coolmom42, cbent3 liked this post
    Likes to push her luck too much. SueandTom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Found the triangle- started to use it to send you a sunny message, but then I saw the warning under the box that popped up.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!
    BS7: July 31, 2014

website for my art: http://TheArtOfSurprise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You know my work nickname is literally "sunshine"?

I'm not kidding.

It's cause of how much I brighten up a room when I leave.
    If you're having trouble logging in or any other tech support issues, or if you have a question about the software, please post them in the Visitor's Corner.
    If you need to reach me about something more private, please contact me via private message.

Reaching out to me privately may not result in a quick response. Posting in the Visitor's Corner ensures other staff members will see your post as well and may be able to help you more quickly.

Also, as far as I know, none of the staff here are psychics, so if you are reporting an issue, and want help, then please take the time to be as detailed as possible. The more effort you put into describing the problem, the more we'll put into solving it.

5. Likes polly-anna liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Maybe we should all sing "You Are My Sunshine" to Greebo.

Bwahahaha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But do you know what my blunt message telling people to stop PMing mods and to use the report icon will be?

Memorable.

I deal with end users day in and day out in my job. Ask them 1000 times to follow proper procedures, but do it nicely, and nothing changes.

Ask rudely once, and they'll remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think my dad figured that out half a century ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SueandTom View Post
    Maybe we should all sing "You Are My Sunshine" to Greebo.

Bwahahaha!
    Sounds more like "walkin on sunshine"
    "More Saving, Less Spending, that's the Power of the Home Budget"

"Its not bad its just OK. OK keeps you from excellent. Dont settle for OK"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't care what song you sing at me if you'll stop pm'ing me obscure "hey are you watching that thread" messages that don't give me a clue what thread needs watching.