User Tag List

Thread: Private group discussion thread only 1000 character maximum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Question Private group discussion thread only 1000 character maximum?

Hello,

I am posting information in my invite only group (Purpose Driven DFFers), however it will only allow 1000 characters max. The information I want to post is over 1000 characters. Can someone please advise?
    Last edited by BlackZ28; 12-24-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    If you have a dog, spend some time training it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    @EvilGreebo , @lexnaturalis , @coolmom42 , any ideas?
    Save $6.00 on the awesome budgeting software YNAB

Try Plan to Eat meal planning software. You can import recipes, type in your own, grab recipes from your friends, and it will populate a shopping list for you based on the recipes you plan to use.

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an experience.

You can either live in the past, or look towards the future. You cannot simultaneously do both with success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Split the post into two. Same limit applies on private messages and that was the work around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Well but when we write threads in the other private groups, many of them are longer than 1000 characters. A lot of them are longer than 1000 characters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    I have no idea.
    BS7

Diane--single empty-nester in small-town Middle Tennessee

Abuses authoritah with reckless abandon. EvilGreebo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is a difference between private groups and private forums. Private forums are fully functioning message boards just like the public ones only they're restricted access.

Private groups posts are a sub function - an extension of private messages in a sense - and are much more restrictive - you control membership (which is also how private forums are managed) but the posts and threads are blocked at all levels. Lex and I, as admins, can of course remove the block, but we don't, on general principles.

They're also not nearly as restricted as private groups. Any admin (and I think any super mod) can view them without trying very hard, just by going and looking at the groups list, where as the private forums don't even show up on my screen unless I go through the admin menus and change settings around.

My recommendation is that you review this link: https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/thr...How-to-request - and have a private forum set up and then you'll be have the same abilities. Or look at our blog functions - although they're not as restrictive either. You can't limit blog viewership to group level access, only personal contacts.
    If you're having trouble logging in or any other tech support issues, or if you have a question about the software, please post them in the Visitor's Corner.
    If you need to reach me about something more private, please contact me via private message.

Reaching out to me privately may not result in a quick response. Posting in the Visitor's Corner ensures other staff members will see your post as well and may be able to help you more quickly.

Also, as far as I know, none of the staff here are psychics, so if you are reporting an issue, and want help, then please take the time to be as detailed as possible. The more effort you put into describing the problem, the more we'll put into solving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    @EvilGreebo , thanks for your quick reply! I will review the link provided and get back with you.

lexnaturalis
    I actually have some time off from work (a Christmas miracle), so I can try to figure out where the length restriction comes from, but I'm guessing that it'll be pretty difficult to change so Greebo's answer is probably best. But I'll try to take a look nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lex. No worries, no hurries. I'm still contemplating what I want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I'm going to just stick with the private group as this is only a 40 day study. Thank you! @EvilGreebo , @lexnaturalis