Thread: Contributing to Debt Free Fanatics

Abuses authoritah with reckless abandon. EvilGreebo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Contributing to Debt Free Fanatics

If you would like to contribute to the operation of Debt Free Fanatics, new options are now available for you to do so.

You can choose between one time or monthly donations, in amounts of $5, $10, or $20.

I love giving you money! How do I do it??
    Easy!

1. On the forum home page is a big gold Contribute button in the top right. Click it!
    2. Decide how much, and whether you want your contribution to be visible.
    3. Follow the directions from there on out!

Can I donate anonymously?
    Yep, nobody need ever know!

What if I want to brag?
    Contributors will be able to choose to be identified as a contributor on the Permission Groups screen in their settings. You will have the option to be identified as your usual title (based on post count) or as a Contributor. (Sorry, at this time you can't show both.)

What if I have questions?
    Please, reply to this thread and ask them!

I love pie!
    So do we, faithful user. So do we.

How much does this site cost to run?
    On average, about $50/month. Many of our expenses are annual, not monthly. Our annual expense list includes hosting costs (the cost of the site actually existing), SSL certification (for security), and registration on Google Play and the Apple Store to publish our mobile apps.

We also occasionally experience one time costs for enhancements to the system, such as buying the donation system itself. Wherever possible, I try to buy lifetime support options, because long term those are the most cost effective.
    Last edited by EvilGreebo; 10-13-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    If you're having trouble logging in or any other tech support issues, or if you have a question about the software, please post them in the Visitor's Corner.
    If you need to reach me about something more private, please contact me via private message.

Reaching out to me privately may not result in a quick response. Posting in the Visitor's Corner ensures other staff members will see your post as well and may be able to help you more quickly.

Also, as far as I know, none of the staff here are psychics, so if you are reporting an issue, and want help, then please take the time to be as detailed as possible. The more effort you put into describing the problem, the more we'll put into solving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    I am probably going to do this.

What are the plans for excess money above what is needed for the actual site fees? Will it be used for future upgrades, or something else?
    Save $6.00 on the awesome budgeting software YNAB

Try Plan to Eat meal planning software. You can import recipes, type in your own, grab recipes from your friends, and it will populate a shopping list for you based on the recipes you plan to use.

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an experience.

You can either live in the past, or look towards the future. You cannot simultaneously do both with success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Have you forgotten the picture of the car I posted?

But seriously - the money will be kept in reserve. It will be used to pay the recurring expenses that come from having this web site.

We are paid up on hosting for 1 year. Renewal of all our features next year will cost $460.

Publishing the Android app cost $25 and I think that's annual, and publishing the Apple ap (in progress) costs $99/year. And vBulletin 5 with the mobile apps included was $399 but that's a one time cost.

If we add other functions like a chat server, or tap-a-talk access, that will increase costs again.

So right now after all the above we have a full year of hosting paid for, a year of published apps paid for, and about $600 in reserve.
    If you're having trouble logging in or any other tech support issues, or if you have a question about the software, please post them in the Visitor's Corner.
    If you need to reach me about something more private, please contact me via private message.

Reaching out to me privately may not result in a quick response. Posting in the Visitor's Corner ensures other staff members will see your post as well and may be able to help you more quickly.

Also, as far as I know, none of the staff here are psychics, so if you are reporting an issue, and want help, then please take the time to be as detailed as possible. The more effort you put into describing the problem, the more we'll put into solving it.

4. Thanks EnV thanked for this post
    Gazelles for the win
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I did a small one-time contribution before we migrated here. Will you keep us informed as we approach the end of the year and renewal time is coming up? If there is a need for money, I want to help again. However, while I like having an emergency fund for this site, I don't want it to get large enough to buy you a car
    Mortgage paid off Feb 12, 2010 BS 7a - kitchen remodel completed - 2011 BS 7b - my bathroom remodel and max out sinking funds ($13.5K) - 2012 BS 7c - min car repl fund $13K - 2013 My goal was to retire in Jan 2016 at age 58, but instead I retired 10/24/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But it'd be a NICE car...

Yes, I intend, once we move to vB5, to add a mod that has a contribution bar to keep people informed of where we stand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some of you have already noticed that contributions to this site have been made somewhat easier to get to. We currently must average $50/month to cover expenses, so to that end we've got a contribution bar with our monthly goal now visible on the main forum home page.

Using this contribution method gives you the same opportunity to change your title to "Contributor", as explained in the OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGreebo View Post
    Some of you have already noticed that contributions to this site have been made somewhat easier to get to. We currently must average $50/month to cover expenses, so to that end we've got a contribution bar with our monthly goal now visible on the main forum home page.

Using this contribution method gives you the same opportunity to change your title to "Contributor", as explained in the OP.
    What if you contributed prior to the migration to vB4? Is this now the official "Finances to Keep DFF Up and Running FOR-EV-AH!" link?
    Sometimes I pretend to be normal
    but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help - Calvin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Luvr View Post
    What if you contributed prior to the migration to vB4? Is this now the official "Finances to Keep DFF Up and Running FOR-EV-AH!" link?
    The new software didn't import the old contributor list but I do have it here at home and will be going through giving credit where credit is due.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In all seriousness, I really don't know how to express my appreciation for all the support! The donations have been amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGreebo View Post
    In all seriousness, I really don't know how to express my appreciation for all the support! The donations have been amazing!
    How are your pie-making skills?
    Sometimes I pretend to be normal
    but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help - Calvin

12. Likes EnV liked this post