If I go insane
    Please don't put your wires in my brain

2. Likes cwilli26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    I would be happy to make a donation as well.
    The best things in life are not things.
    Don't invest more in someones situation than they are.
    Persistence, not perfection, wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    722 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'm in. Last time I was late and they'd already stopped accepting money because we more than enough donations. This time I want to be at the front of the line.
    Mortgage $0.00

Moving to BS3. My car loan is at 2.25%, and my high-yield savings account pays 5.15% It doesn't make sense to pay off the car early.
    BS3: $5530
    BS2: Car loan ​$9,000.10/$17,724.29

Coasting towards the finish line
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Maryann View Post
    I'm in. Last time I was late and they'd already stopped accepting money because we more than enough donations. This time I want to be at the front of the line.
    Me, too.

6. Likes 1Maryann liked this post
    lexnaturalis
    I'll be working up a more formal post later, but here are the rough details:

We currently have $217.60 cash on hand.

Our monthly expenses are ~$49.99/mo. Some months are more because of various annual fees. So we have about 4 months of operating cash right now.

We'll open up donations soon, I think, I just need to handle some logistics stuff.

8. Thanks fourteeners, cwilli26, textev, samkidsmom thanked for this post
    Likes Frogfans liked this post
    Chasing the cheetah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilli26 View Post
    None of these things really turned out to be a benefit quite honestly, but I donate just to make sure the forums continue because I like what goes on here for the most part.
    I like most of what goes on here too, not all of course. But it would make me nervous if I were on a site where I liked everything. (Well, unless it were strictly dedicated to chocolate.)

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    I'll be working up a more formal post later, but here are the rough details:
    We currently have $217.60 cash on hand.
    Our monthly expenses are ~$49.99/mo. Some months are more because of various annual fees. So we have about 4 months of operating cash right now.
    We'll open up donations soon, I think, I just need to handle some logistics stuff.
    Lex, thanks for the numbers. (I like numbers.) But in this case, I don't know the implication of the numbers.

It does seem to me that maintaining a year of expenses all the time would be the most secure and allow for the most flexibility on the part of Greebo and/or those who are helping keep the operation going. If there were always a year of expenses in the bank/on the books that covers about 12 months of regular expenses, or, for example, equipment or software upgrades plus less than 12 months of expenses (at which point - let us know so we can replenish!) But I wouldn't object to a year of expenses at all times plus a reserve for equipment or software upgrades. At least that's my input FWIW.

Anyway - let us know.
    Last edited by textev; 12-29-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    BS1,2 - SL's ($238,231) gone - 7/2012
    BS3 - Done - 5/2017 ($150,000). Now filling sinking funds (car replacement, roof, etc.)
    BS4 - Social security (since 6/2016), pension & 457b on retirement. After tax investing - I wish I had.
    BS6 - In apt & working in one state, paid off house (7/1/15) in another - DDs house sitting (yes it is a good idea)
    BS7:

'If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went.' Will Rogers

10. Likes pknord, rolo4evr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I just stumped up for a year’s membership, so there is another month paid for
    If I were asleep
    I could dream
    If I were afraid
    I could hide
    If I go insane
    Please don't put your wires in my brain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Link for donation? Reading more thoroughly is good. LOL
    "Far away, there, in the sunshine, are my brightest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead."
    ~~ Louisa May Alcott

BS7 reached in 2022

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    722 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas. View Post
    I just stumped up for a year’s membership, so there is another month paid for
    Ditto
    Mortgage $0.00

Moving to BS3. My car loan is at 2.25%, and my high-yield savings account pays 5.15% It doesn't make sense to pay off the car early.
    BS3: $5530
    BS2: Car loan ​$9,000.10/$17,724.29

Chasing the cheetah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    From Greebo's 1/25/16 post:

Quote Originally Posted by EvilGreebo View Post

What does it cost to run Debt Free Fanatics?

Our costs have gone up some since the last time I posted this information, but not by much. Our main expense, the website itself, is now roughly $50/month. Other expenses are annual and average around $15/month. So we don't need a LOT of people to help chip in, really, we don't!

Our annual expense list includes Domain Name Registration, SSL certification (for security), and registration on Google Play and the Apple Store to publish our mobile apps.

We also occasionally experience one time costs for enhancements to the system, such as buying the donation system itself. Wherever possible, I try to buy lifetime support options, because long term those are the most cost effective.

What do you do with the extra money?

My goal is to have at least a years worth of operating expenses in reserve, all the time. You all have made that an easy objective to hit, since right now we have about $1,700 sitting in DFF's bank account. (I TOLD you we don't need a lot of help!)
    Aha! I must have been remembering Greebo's goal for at least a year's worth of operating expenses in reserve all the time. Looks like we're down way below that.

ETA: I just sent a donation for a year. Since I don't do recurring withdrawals I do need a reminder when it is time again. Also, I don't see an option to send a larger donation.

ETA #2: I re-read Greebo's original post and see that as of 1/25/16 (about 4 years ago) the monthly cost to run the site was around $50.00 and there were additional annual costs averaging $15 a month (so the additional annual costs as of then were about $15 x 12 = $180.)

So the monthly cost to run the site as of 1/25/16 was about $50 plus about $15 = $65 a month. Which is about $65 x 12 = $780.

I would be surprised if the cost hasn't increased.
    @lexnaturalis if you are using 1/25/16 monthly cost figures and are not accounting for additional annual costs, and if there are any increase in operating costs since 4 years ago, the $50 monthly number is low. I think there should be a running balance in the account of at least a year's expenses. As of now we are running a deficit compared to what Greebo was saying 4 years ago would be optimal to have in the account.

I think we need to raise funds to the point that we bring up the balance to at least the total annual expense and that we generate enough from donations to keep the balance at that amount.

If the donations aren't coming in from monthly scheduled contributions then people like me (very willing to contribute regularly, but don't do automatic withdrawals from my account) - need to contribute regularly, maybe quarterly. But I don't typically know what we need and when.

In any case, it looks like the balance is well below optimal.
    Last edited by textev; 12-30-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    BS1,2 - SL's ($238,231) gone - 7/2012
    BS3 - Done - 5/2017 ($150,000). Now filling sinking funds (car replacement, roof, etc.)
    BS4 - Social security (since 6/2016), pension & 457b on retirement. After tax investing - I wish I had.
    BS6 - In apt & working in one state, paid off house (7/1/15) in another - DDs house sitting (yes it is a good idea)
    BS7:

'If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went.' Will Rogers