Abuses authoritah with reckless abandon. EvilGreebo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Become a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics

What is a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics?

Friends of Debt Free Fanatics are members who have helped support our operation by making a donation to our operating fund.

What's it take to become a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics?

For as little as $10 you will be flagged as a "Friend of DFF" for 3 months. One time, quarterly, and annual donation options arealso available, in amounts of $10, $20, $50, and $100.

What do I get for being a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics?

Friends of Debt Free Fanatics get the following perks:

- The ability to display their love for Debt Free Fanatics in the form of a custom user title under their avatar

- Access to the Friends of DFF private sub forum, where you and your fellow DFF Friends can feel smug together!

- Access to new features as well as improved functions and higher limits on their use of the site
    - - Increased limit on Private Messages (9,999 vs. 1,000) (for the really really spammy)
    - - Ability to send PM to 50 users at once (instead of 5)
    - - Automatic thread refreshing never expires (5 minute limit is the norm)

- And of course, a sense of contributing to the community!

How do I donate?

Go to the Paid Subscriptions page and follow the instructions.

All payments go through PayPal but you do not need a PayPal account unless you want to schedule a recurring payment.

If you schedule a recurring payment and later wish to cancel ,you must do this through PayPal's managed subscriptions section. DFF cannot cancel your payment for you.
    Ok, I donated. What do I get for it?
    Contributors will be able to choose to be identified as a "Friend of DFF" on the Permission Groups screen in their settings. You will have the option to be identified as your usual title (based on post count) or as a "Friend of DFF". (Sorry, at this time you can't show both.)

What does it cost to run Debt Free Fanatics?

Our costs have gone up some since the last time I posted this information, but not by much. Our main expense, the website itself, is now roughly $50/month. Other expenses are annual and average around $15/month. So we don't need a LOT of people to help chip in, really, we don't!

Our annual expense list includes Domain Name Registration, SSL certification (for security), and registration on Google Play and the Apple Store to publish our mobile apps.

We also occasionally experience one time costs for enhancements to the system, such as buying the donation system itself. Wherever possible, we try to buy lifetime support options, because long term those are the most cost effective.

What do you do with the extra money?

Our goal is to have at least a years worth of operating expenses in reserve, all the time.
    Money in excess of the reserve may be used to buy enhancements to DFF.

What if I can't (or just don't want to) become a Friend of DFF?

Nothing. All the access you have today, you'll keep. Anything new, you won't get. Our worst case scenario is that one day we run out of money and have to downgrade to a cheaper plan which won't let us run at the capacity level you all are used to. (Think "Service Limit Exceeded" messages from our former web service provider...)

How can I see the status of the funds?

Our treasurer, GertieMcFuzz the professional accountant, will publish a quarterly summary of income and outgo. This will be accessible to all members.
    Last edited by coolmom42; 08-08-2020 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Updating contribution amounts, other info, adding info about summary
    If you're having trouble logging in or any other tech support issues, or if you have a question about the software, please post them in the Visitor's Corner.
    If you need to reach me about something more private, please contact me via private message.

Reaching out to me privately may not result in a quick response. Posting in the Visitor's Corner ensures other staff members will see your post as well and may be able to help you more quickly.

Also, as far as I know, none of the staff here are psychics, so if you are reporting an issue, and want help, then please take the time to be as detailed as possible. The more effort you put into describing the problem, the more we'll put into solving it.

2. Thanks KYdeer thanked for this post
    Likes CookieB, KYdeer, debtfreeDec11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    BS7: arrived 9/13/13

When you finally learn that a person's behavior has more to do with their internal struggle than it ever did with you, you learn grace.

4. Likes Thai_chef liked this post
    Gazelles for the win
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Given the low operating costs and the nice cushion, have you considered allowing those in BS1 and BS2 to become friends at a discount? Maybe $5 for 3 months or $20 for the year?
    Mortgage paid off Feb 12, 2010 BS 7a - kitchen remodel completed - 2011 BS 7b - my bathroom remodel and max out sinking funds ($13.5K) - 2012 BS 7c - min car repl fund $13K - 2013 My goal was to retire in Jan 2016 at age 58, but instead I retired 10/24/2014

Abuses authoritah with reckless abandon. EvilGreebo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
    Given the low operating costs and the nice cushion, have you considered allowing those in BS1 and BS2 to become friends at a discount? Maybe $5 for 3 months or $20 for the year?
    Well, there's not really a way I would be able to be sure that they're in BS1 or BS2, but that's not why I'm against this.

I'm against this because if you're in BS1 or BS2, you don't need to be sending us money, you need to be getting the hell out of debt.

So --- no. Get out of debt, get your finances in order, then you can pay it forward later.
    If you're having trouble logging in or any other tech support issues, or if you have a question about the software, please post them in the Visitor's Corner.
    If you need to reach me about something more private, please contact me via private message.

Reaching out to me privately may not result in a quick response. Posting in the Visitor's Corner ensures other staff members will see your post as well and may be able to help you more quickly.

Also, as far as I know, none of the staff here are psychics, so if you are reporting an issue, and want help, then please take the time to be as detailed as possible. The more effort you put into describing the problem, the more we'll put into solving it.

7. Likes The Mrs., EnV liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGreebo View Post
    Well, there's not really a way I would be able to be sure that they're in BS1 or BS2, but that's not why I'm against this.

I'm against this because if you're in BS1 or BS2, you don't need to be sending us money, you need to be getting the hell out of debt.

So --- no. Get out of debt, get your finances in order, then you can pay it forward later.
    When you guys first started this site I offered to send some funds. I think someone told me you guys had plenty of funds and not to worry about it. I just found this link recently. Makes me feel good to support this site as it's helped me a ton!

Thanks for all the work you guys do! It's really appreciated. You have no idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    @lexnaturalis
    Working on my 2020 budget. How are we (DFF) doing for funds?
    Sometimes you just have to do what feels right with your money instead of what is "optimal". Too many focus on optimal outcomes, when good enough is good enough. (Thanks to Retired @ 50)

lexnaturalis
    Quote Originally Posted by wintersong View Post
    @lexnaturalis
    Working on my 2020 budget. How are we (DFF) doing for funds?
    I'll try to find time in the next day or so to put together a breakdown. Thanks for asking!

11. Likes fourteeners, textev liked this post
    Getting used to this
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    I'll try to find time in the next day or so to put together a breakdown. Thanks for asking!
    I'm in! It's our month of extra giving so let us know.
    BS2: $154,000 between 10/07 and 04/14
    BS3: FFEF 03/16
    BS4: Roughly 20% into two 401k's and two Roth IRAs
    BS5: N/A
    BS6: Feb 27, 2020 - Four years ahead of scheduled 15 year mortgage
    BS7: Max out two 401(k)s and two IRAs

13. Likes fourteeners liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    What are the added benefits of paid membership?
    If I were asleep
    I could dream
    If I were afraid
    I could hide
    If I go insane
    Please don't put your wires in my brain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas. View Post
    What are the added benefits of paid membership?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGreebo View Post
    What do I get for being a Friend of Debt Free Fanatics?

Friends of Debt Free Fanatics get the following perks:

- The ability to display their love for Debt Free Fanatics in the form of a custom user title under their avatar

- Access to the Friends of DFF private sub forum, where you and your fellow DFF Friends can feel smug together!

- Access to new features as well as improved functions and higher limits on their use of the site
    - - Increased limit on Private Messages (9,999 vs. 1,000) (for the really really spammy)
    - - Ability to send PM to 50 users at once (instead of 5)
    - - Automatic thread refreshing never expires (5 minute limit is the norm)

- Any new features Greebo/Lex add - which will get updated here as they are implemented

- And of course, a sense of self-satisfaction that you've helped DFF and an air of smug superiority to silently lord over those people who aren't Friends of DFF
    None of these things really turned out to be a benefit quite honestly, but I donate just to make sure the forums continue because I like what goes on here for the most part.
    BS7: arrived 9/13/13

When you finally learn that a person's behavior has more to do with their internal struggle than it ever did with you, you learn grace.

16. Likes pknord liked this post